PDA

View Full Version : How to remove rag joint flange from 1st Gen Camaro steering column.

TheJDMan
06-20-2011, 05:40 AM
I have removed the stock subframe and installed a DSE subframe. I need to remove the rag joint flange from my first gen camaro steering column in order to install a universial joint in it's place. I thought it was going to be a bolt through a clamp but there is no clamp on my flange just what appears to be a nut of some sort around the shaft behind the flange. Before I damage something I thought I had better ask how the flange comes off. The universal joint is splined where it is supposed to fit on the column.

MuscleRodz
06-20-2011, 08:36 AM
either replace the column or speedtech has an adapter to work with a stock column

TheJDMan
06-20-2011, 09:53 AM
So you're saying that the flange does not come off? I suspected it might not. Thanks!

MrQuick
06-20-2011, 10:00 AM
its welded on a first gen....I've modified 2nd gen columns to work in the past but for $25+ shipping the coupler is a great option.

http://www.speedtechperformance.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=81/category_id=193/home_id=193/mode=prod/prd81.htm

TheJDMan
06-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Aftermarket column is in the future but not now. The adaptor is ordered. Thanks guys!!!