PDA

View Full Version : Procharger for a carbed bb chevy

64impala
06-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Who sells a blow through setup for a bb chevy with a carb. Its going in a 64 impala. Any ideas or opinions as to what would work best would be great. I know procharger has a universal set up but who has delt with the install and is it worth thr money. I will be running low boost since im running the stock bottom end.

DButler
06-20-2011, 04:30 AM
If you are going carb'ed you have better either go with CSU or C&S for the carb. Go ahead and spend the money on the front end and save alot less headache trust me I know from experience lol. The best is Brent Davis over on turbo forums. His setup the "crutch" is the best setup. How much hp you loking to make and I am assuming 95% street car?

64impala
06-24-2011, 12:15 PM
If you are going carb'ed you have better either go with CSU or C&S for the carb. Go ahead and spend the money on the front end and save alot less headache trust me I know from experience lol. The best is Brent Davis over on turbo forums. His setup the "crutch" is the best setup. How much hp you loking to make and I am assuming 95% street car?

Yes...its going to see daily street use. I'm lookin to make around 550 to the wheels. I've thought about just doin AFR heads and a roller cam, but i like the idea of boost with a basic 454. I'm not lookin to make peak power, i just want a fun boosted bb if ya know what i mean. I'd like to keep the stock heads, buy a carb and cam for boost, and run it. Any help and advise would be great! Thanks for the reply

DButler
06-27-2011, 04:20 AM
Its a little more to it than cam and carb lol but not that much. I would recommend probably CSU for the carb they can match it to your setup. The main thing is going to be your fuel system. I would go Aeromotive with their A1000 filters and boost referneced regulator. You will need someway to control your timing as in an MSD pro billet locked out with a 6AL BTM or digital box to pull timing. This should be the basic. I would go over to tubroforums and searcha dn read like crazy before doing anything (wish I would have). There is more than enough info over there to give you an idea of what you will need and so on.

64impala
06-28-2011, 07:56 AM
its a little more to it than cam and carb lol but not that much. I would recommend probably csu for the carb they can match it to your setup. The main thing is going to be your fuel system. I would go aeromotive with their a1000 filters and boost referneced regulator. You will need someway to control your timing as in an msd pro billet locked out with a 6al btm or digital box to pull timing. This should be the basic. I would go over to tubroforums and searcha dn read like crazy before doing anything (wish i would have). There is more than enough info over there to give you an idea of what you will need and so on.

thanks for the input!

opnwide
06-29-2011, 12:07 PM
I'd avoid the locked out timing. I tried it on my poncho and didn't like it. Car was sluggish at part throttle with only 20-25 degrees advance.. Fortunately, my 8:1 compression made it easy on the starter. I eventually went full NA timing curve (38 degrees) and pull 1.5 degrees/psi with BTM.
I'm using a Demon blow through. I def think you could do better, but I got a great deal on it:)

Def do the Aeromotive complete system.

DButler
07-11-2011, 04:09 AM
I run my timing locked at 34 degrees base and pull 1 degree per pound of boost. Plus I am running a phased rotor that way when timing is pulled it is still hitting on number one at the lowest timing and highest boost level.

Procharmo
08-25-2011, 08:18 AM
I'd avoid the locked out timing. I tried it on my poncho and didn't like it. Car was sluggish at part throttle with only 20-25 degrees advance.. Fortunately, my 8:1 compression made it easy on the starter. I eventually went full NA timing curve (38 degrees) and pull 1.5 degrees/psi with BTM.
I'm using a Demon blow through. I def think you could do better, but I got a great deal on it:)

Def do the Aeromotive complete system.

I too am running N/A style timing with vacuum advance and pulling degrees with MSD 7531. I also have 7.8:1 CR even though the MSD has 10 degs start retard. I've found with low boost, low compression and high cfm the car seems very responsive and torquey. I can't help wondering what is would nave been like at 9.5:1!!!