PDA

View Full Version : New guy, 1981 Camaro just started....again

Bastid81Z
06-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm David and I've just started working on my 1981 Z28 Camaro again. I've had it for 15 years (since I was 18), but it's pretty much just sat for the last eight years or so. The end goal is to someday run the Silver State Classic in the 150mph class. Obviously, as a pretty much bone stock car, I need to get to work. Here's a horrible picture, but it's all I have on this computer.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/06/100_1679-1.jpg

I'm here to learn about suspension systems and what does and doesn't work on these cars. I peeked in on the suspension forum and boy, I have a LOT to learn. But I'll get there... Thanks for the great site and I look forward to finding answers to my many questions.

And no, the cheezy screwed-on L88 scoop isn't staying. Amazing, but it looked cool to me 15 years ago. :)

CruizinKev
06-12-2011, 12:01 AM
welcome aboard David!

Bastid81Z
06-12-2011, 02:34 PM
So... plans for the car. The front sheetmetal is already gone and I'm in the process of mocking up the one-piece '70SS fiberglass front end. I got a great deal on it; right now it has a snorkel scoop on it that I may or may not keep.

The big decision is gonna be suspension setup. Do I try to work with the stock subframe and replace the control arms, or go with a custom setup with C4 or C5 stuff? Complete front and rear suspension clips from a c4 corvette are as little as $1200 for both, and look pretty straightforward regarding the install. I can't afford the DSE stuff, so I have to work with what I can afford. Suggestions are welcome.

Twentyover
06-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Don't only work with what you can afford, work with what you have. The 2nd gen spindle isalready one of the 'Tall' 9" designs, and with something like a Kore3 brake deal and SPC lower arms and tall upper ball joints will get you a whole pile of good-Good camber gain, good caster, and good brakes. You'll get 90% of the bang for 10% ofthe bucks. Getthe front end working first, then you can probably look atwhat Bryce did (look under projects headerfor his 3 link rear in '65 Falscon pro-Touring.)There's alsoa guy whose name I forgot doing a home-made 3 link in a Nova

Possible best place to start is reading Mark Savitske's book " How to Make Your Muscle Car Handle",

Bastid81Z
06-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks Greg! You've got me headed in the right direction. For this first iteration of the car (can't run in the 150mph class until you run at least one time in a slower class) I think I'll stick with the stock subframe and maximize its potential. Much cheaper, and it'll give me a chance to run the SSCC without committing to an all out race car.

On the list so far:

6pt roll bar
race seat and belts
C5 brake upgrade
solid subframe mounts
subframe connectors
"tall" UBJ
LCA
subframe to cowl braces
electric fans

I'm sure there will be more, but that's all for now.

Bastid81Z
06-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Just a teaser pic -

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/06/PIC_0345-1.jpg