PDA

View Full Version : How Does This Idea Of Venting My Gas Tank Sound....help!

yody
06-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Not sure what forum to put this in, but i have seen a bunch of posts on various forums on how to vent a gas tank. I put a Sump on my stock tank and have a completely aftermarket fuel system. I have a bunch of outlets near the upper corners of my tank on both the left and the right corners. I was thinking of using a rubber line as a coupler and using some 1/4" brake line or aluminum and bednign a line to connect from one side to the other (kinda like when people make a line that goes from one float to bowl to the other on Holleys to keep gas from coming out of the vent tubes under braking)

In the middle i would drill a series of holes to vent it, also i was thinking right after it connects to the tank put a series of loops in the line so gas can't come out, kinda like brake lines near your master cylinder, The only think I am thinking is that dirt could get in the small holes after a long time, maybe clog it up? wondering if there is some kind foam i could stick downt the tube?

Any ideas, suggestions? Need to vent this tank, but don't want to use a venting cap, or use some huge charcoal canister.

Fuelie Fan
06-21-2005, 08:52 AM
sounds too complicated to me. If you're not actually transferring fuel side to side, I don't see the benefit of connecting them. Why don't you want to run a vented cap?

yody
06-21-2005, 09:59 AM
because when you park on a hill you run the chance of gas coming out of the tank, or so i have been told

69Myway
06-22-2005, 05:33 AM
The late model GM trucks have a fairly compact rectangular evap can. I was able to put mine BEHIND the right rear wheel in the well on a 69 Camaro.

This is the BEST way to vent as it keeps the odors down and allows you to park the car in your garage and not smell gas fumes floating around on a hot day.

I did the same on my 69 Vette and stuck the canister up high in the passenger quarter panel. NO stinky gas smells and plenty of venting on the high pressure fuel system on the EFI feed.

rockdogz
06-22-2005, 07:15 AM
Chris,
Cool, I've been looking for this - do you have any part numbers?

Thanks,

69-572
06-22-2005, 08:50 AM
See if your local dealer has a 15737021 to look at. I'm not sure if this is the one Chris is using, but it is a small, rectangular evap canister. Hope this helps.

yody
06-22-2005, 10:25 AM
do you know where it is located and what kind of truck?

rockdogz
06-22-2005, 12:26 PM
I thought I saw a post a while back where someone just uses a PCV valve - think that will work ok? Lets in air but not out?

69-572
06-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Sorry, that part # is 15137021 fits 04-06 C/K and G vans. On the trucks they are located back by the fuel tanks. Part # 17113596 is for 01-03 trucks, located in the same place. They are made to take a hose with quick connect end. Maybe Chris can shed some more light on it, but be glad to find you the part # you need if he can tell us what his fits.

69Myway
06-23-2005, 09:45 AM
Mine fits a 99-05 C/K Chevy truck series. It is also very much like the one that fits 98-02 F bodies. I think they are all about the same now.

I just changed the fuel pump on my mother's 1996 Astro Van. It has the same sized canister as well mounted flat under the belly.

Mine had the quick connect ends. I sectioned in new hose inbetween the canister and the vent valve. My system is a bit overkill as it is actually wired direct into the PCM to purge/vent with computer command.

On my 69 Vette it is a SIMPLE 1988-1998 or so Chevy full size truck canister. It is the size of a large coffee can and is much more bulky than the small square unit now in my 69 Camaro. I attached the tank end on one side and just vented capped off the other line that would route to the engine for the purge cycle. It works to just filter through in and out the tank vapors. Works just fine.

yody
06-23-2005, 10:47 AM
well they are like $70 through GMPartsdirect, can anyone post a pic? and so are you saying you just run a line into it, and cap off othe outlet? thanks for the info!!

69Myway
06-23-2005, 11:03 AM
well they are like $70 through GMPartsdirect, can anyone post a pic? and so are you saying you just run a line into it, and cap off othe outlet? thanks for the info!!

Yep, that will work. However, the life span will be limited just a tad since all fumes will be pushed through the canister portion instead of purging through the engine.

yody
06-23-2005, 11:23 AM
hmm, wondeirng if i should just run a vented cap? maybe i will check the junkyard for one of htese canisters

69-572
06-23-2005, 12:46 PM
I can try to post a picture if someone can tell me how...

69Myway
06-23-2005, 01:09 PM
You don't vent the cap when running a canister. It does the venting for you through the charcol filter.

yody
06-23-2005, 01:41 PM
i know, i meant a vented cap instead

rockdogz
06-26-2005, 09:22 PM
Does anyone have a pic of that 15137021? Wow, I went to my local dealer and they said they could order it - for $140! Can't believe it's HALF the price at gmpartsdirect. They had some other miscellaneous canisters there, and man they were huge!

yody
07-19-2005, 11:33 AM
can anyone post any pics of the small charcoal canisters, you can go to imageshack.us to host a picture, they give you links that you can directly copy and paste here. THanks