PDA

View Full Version : D&D T-56

censo69
08-31-2004, 07:09 AM
Has anyone had any experience with the D&D tranny? Im looking to buy one and put in my 69.
Thanks

TitoJones
08-31-2004, 08:29 AM
What do you want to know about them?
Tyler

censo69
09-01-2004, 06:40 AM
Basicly I was just looking to see if their product is quality, and if anyone has had a problem running the manual clutch with the T56.

TitoJones
09-01-2004, 11:17 PM
The trans is very high quality. I have heard of clearance issues of the bllhousing and adapter plate right by the firewall/tunnel area on a few cars. Other than that, no issues.

I have another way to perform the swap if you look at my site. Just click the green car.
Tyler

censo69
09-02-2004, 06:14 AM
Ive looked at you system (very nice by the way) now does your kit include the slave cylinder and and throwout bearing? plus how much does it cost? secondly I am a little worried if the stock camaro tranny will hold the torque im making almost 500 without the bottle. I guess my main reason for thinking of the D&D was stronger the stock tranny and cost savings of not using the slave cylinder assembly.

TitoJones
09-02-2004, 11:54 AM
On my LT1 styled T56 install kit, the throw out bearings come on the pressure plate. My kit comes with the 3pc crossmember, hydraulic clutch bracket, and modified hydraulics. The cost is $600 plus shipping. As long as you don't plan on slicks, the stock T56 will hold. If you want upgraded T56's you can look here:

http://www.jenningsengineering.net/fbody.htm

Tyler

censo69
09-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Ok tyler sorry for the continued questions... so if I was to buy your system I would need a LT1 style t56 and the slave cylinder to go with it? and that would be all i need to install it? Also what advantages does the LS1 t56 have over the LT1? How much for just the crossmember? Thanks again

TitoJones
09-03-2004, 02:37 PM
You would need an LT1 style T56. All the custom parts to adapt the T56 come in my install kit. Depending on the year of your block will detrmine the flywheel you need, but in all cases of my kit, you will need an LT1 style pull off clutch. The actuator is included in mu hydraulics.

The crossmember is $250 plus shipping.

Tyler

censo69
09-13-2004, 09:43 AM
OK sorry to continually pick your brain but you seem pretty knowledgeable about this. What is the major difference between the LS1 and LT1 t56? How much torque will the Jenning's stage 2 handle? Do you have pictures of the install?

Im looking to make my move soon and I don’t mind moving the shifter location I just don’t want it to become uncomfortable to drive. Also what advantages does the LT1/LS1 with hydraulic actuation have opposed to the D&D with manual clutch?

Will the D&D with adapter plate and Lakewood housing move the shifter location to far back. Thanks again for everyone’s help this site keeps me spending money on good things opposed to regrets.

TitoJones
09-14-2004, 01:58 PM
Well, the main difference in the Lt1/LS1 t56 is that the LS1 has an input shaft that is 3/8" longer than the Lt1, and it uses a hydraulic throw out bearing.

The Jennings should handle 650 ftlbs in a stage 2 leverl from what I've read.
Pictures of the install are on my website. Just click on the car, and go to installs.
The only adavtage to hydraulics have is smooth operation over 36 year old mechanical linkage.
If you have the linkage on your car already, then the D&D may be the advatange to you since there is nothing to change.
I don't think the Lakewood/D&D combo will put the shifter too far back. The D&D is farther forward than the LT1/LS1 version, and with the bellhousing change it will put it within an inch or two of the LT1 shifter.
Tyler

censo69
09-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Can you use the lakewood bellhousing with the LT1? If not what housing do you use as a scater sheild? Thanks again

yody
09-14-2004, 09:35 PM
the D+D Viper T56 would be another alternative, this is what i have, it is conservatively rated at 550ilbs of torque. It has beefier input/output shafts, better thicker gears, steel 2-3 shift fork, and some kind of carbon fiber synchros. but it uses stock linkage and stock bellhousing, it is $2650 delivered, and it mounts the shifter pretty far up, which means you can probably use the stock console.