PDA

View Full Version : Heidts Performance Car Challenge welcomes new participants

WallyFM3
06-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Heidts Hot Rod & Muscle Car Parts is proud to announce that Mary Pozzi and James Shipka will both be competing at the Heidts Performance Car Challenge July 15-17 in Joliet, IL at Autobahn Country Club!

James and Mary recently shared seat time in the OPTIMA Batteries One Lap Camaro at the 2011 One Lap of America. After 3900 gruelling miles, this team of accomplished drivers walked away as 2011 Vintage American Class Champions.

James and Mary will compete head to head and alongside the rest of the competitors at the Heidts Performance Car Challenge for a coveted OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational berth. James will be driving the first generation Camaro known as the OPTIMA One Lap Camaro. Mary will be competing in her beloved, but recently revamped, second generation Camaro. Don’t miss your chance to run with two of the pro-touring worlds most popular drivers and cars.

This event features a full schedule of high horsepower fun including:
Heidts Hot Rod & Muscle car Parts shop tour and luncheon
QA1 Road Rally
Rt 66 Car Show
Heidts Road Course Challenge
Carbon Kustoms Karting Enduro
Nitto Autocross Challenge
Wilwood Braking Challenge
Strange Engineering Awards Banquet

The event is all about the experience, so whether you are an experienced or novice driver, we would love to see you at the Heidts Performance Car Challenge. Heidts is offering a $40.00 discount to all participants who sign up before June 20th. For Information visit www.heidtsperformancecarchallenge.com (http://www.heidtsperformancecarchallenge.com/)

justimagine
06-10-2011, 05:23 AM
Hey crew - we've heard from a few folks out there that some of you might be a little nervous about coming out to play because you feel you're inexperienced or that your car may not be competitive. Let me be the first to reassure you that you are welcome and we will do everything we can to make you comfortable. These events are designed to allow everyone to have fun and our emphasis is on getting folks out to participate, not the overall competition.

Sure, the clock is running on every lap, but nobody has any expectations. You're going to earn a ton of respect from us and all the participants if this is your first event. This is the perfect type of event to learn what an apex is and to try that heel/toe braking technique. There are no professional drivers here, and we'll even put you in a run group that fits your speed and style.

I can't emphasize enough how much fun it is to be able to run your car as fast as you feel comfortable. The feeling you get when you exit the turn at the the exact spot you envisioned and then roll onto the throttle down the straight is unbelievable. Shaving a half second off your last lap time on the autocross makes your chest swell with pride. Having spectators come over and shake your hand when you pull into the paddock area after a session makes it all worthwhile.

And, how many people are going to show up at work on Monday and say "I just did a 1:20.3 lap at Autobahn yesterday and Mary Pozzi helped me shave a full second off my autocross time!" You'll be hanging out with some of the industries highest profile names and companies, not to mention having more fun with your car than a barrel of monkeys! For around $350, you can have an entire weekend of a lifetime! Sign up at www.heidtsperformancecarchallenge.com (http://www.heidtsperformancecarchallenge.com)

James OLC
06-10-2011, 06:30 AM
This is going to be a great event! I had the opportunity to make a whole five laps at Autobahn during this years One Lap of America and can say from personal experience that it is a great facility and the track that we will be running on is perfect no matter what your level of experience. It's definately a track that gives you the opportunity to improve as you run it - there are no really complicated combinations, the visibility is great and there is plenty of room to run. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to run there again.

Now... on to other business...

Since this is going to be the first time that Mary and I have an opportunity to play head to head I think that a little wager is in order... "Loser" (lower placing overall for the weekend) has to run the wet skid pad during OLoA next year... and has to wash the other one's car. Unless you win the whole thing - which would prove that you should run the wet skid pad because you are so good.

Larry Callahan
06-10-2011, 08:06 AM
unless you win the whole thing - which would prove that you should run the wet skid pad because you are so good.

lol!

mpozzi
06-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Oh CRAP. I'd better bring my "A" game 'cause there's no way in hell I'm getting NEAR a wet skid pad ever again. <you're going down, dude ... LOL>

What's that they say about old age and treachery kicking butt on youth and exuberance ... ???

Cheers,
Mary P.

James OLC
06-10-2011, 09:50 AM
:)
That's why I figured it was a good bet... I'm already on the hook as it is... you want should the loser wash the winners car too?

mpozzi
06-10-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm bringing jackstands and I won't even make you lay in the dirt when you're detailing the underside. <note to self ... bring creeper> I'll also be checking periodically to make sure you're not taking a nap under there.

And with all that LS7 monster power, you should be spotting me with my pitiful and anemic LS2, skinny tired car at least ten seconds a lap ... don't you feel any mercy?

:twothumbs and a :6gears: for good measure ... LOL.

Mary P.

John Wright
06-10-2011, 10:49 AM
'cause there's no way in hell I'm getting NEAR a wet skid pad ever again. you didn't forget to roll up the windows....did you?

mpozzi
06-10-2011, 10:55 AM
you didn't forget to roll up the windows....did you?

I'm taking the Fifth ...

LOL,
Mary Pozzi

mpozzi
06-10-2011, 06:54 PM
All kidding aside, James is right as Autobahn is definitely a very "newbie friendly" track. The corners and apexes are easily acquired with plenty of room at your track-out. It's a course that doesn't bite if you get off line and being pretty flat, offers lots of markers as reference points. If time permits and the bodies are willing, we'll walk and jog the track on Saturday and autocross course on Sunday an hour or so before the Driver's Meeting to get a better idea of the layout and to locate those markers. I can't stress enough the importance of this run especially since this will be my daily exercise ...

Speed is relative and safety the key here; FM3 will be more than happy to put drivers in groups they'll be comfortable in. Not sure if the track sessions allow passengers but if they do, I'm more than willing to ride shotgun if you promise to not run out of talent.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

anthonys 69
06-10-2011, 07:24 PM
you guy make it sound like a lot of fun. i need to get working on my car. next year. id love for Mary to try my car out and give me her honest opinion of my do it yourself workmanship.

Van B
06-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Taking the little car there Sunday to get some laps in on the North track. It is an absolute blast in a low horsepower momentum car. I will see how well I adapt next month to more power and street tires.

mpozzi
07-21-2011, 08:05 PM
After getting home and rested, I wanted to take the opportunity to thank Heidt's Hot Rod and Muscle Car Parts, FM3 Performance Marketing, Autobahn Country Club, and all of the individual sponsors for making the Heidt's Performance Car Challenge the best and most fun Pro-Touring style event I've ever participated in. From the initial "pre-event dinner" Thursday evening, the cruise up to and back from Heidt's cool facility and that yummy BBQ (that potato recipe MUST be shared), the entertaining driver's meetings both days, more track time than anyone would ask for, a decent and fun autocross on what first appeared to be a postage-stamp sized lot, very well thought out braking challenge, and the awards banquet (okay ... weenies and burgers isn't banquet fare but it was really good anyways), the organization, planning, and fun was quite apparent. Thanks again and I can't wait until next year ...

For me, thanks are also in order to Phil from the Roadster Shop as he loaned me Chris. On Saturday, Chris expertly welded up some emergency suspension repairs and got the Camaro back in the game for Sunday's competition. Thanks also go to Mark Stielow who "designed and fabricated" an impromptu engine breather system and I'm so tempted to have an engraved plate made with Mark's name and a P/N for "the tank." It worked quite well and as I can't remember who I "borrowed" the tubing for the vent from, if you are reading this, please PM me with your address and I'll get it back to you ...

There's a reason I only got about eight laps on the North Course as the breather system breathed a bit too well. You have no idea how much area a half quart or so of oil can get to but I'll tell you this ... it takes about two hours and several rolls of industrial paper shop towels to clean it up.

Mark's tank ...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/IMG_4050-1.jpg

And thanks to Bret Voelkel and the entire RideTech crew as their SA coilover shock package helped my Camaro get around corners very well. It's good to know I've got a few more adjustments available in the suspension tuning arsenal. Thanks, too for the hospitality during my stay in Jasper, IN ...

Here's a couple of random pictures ...

Scott Maki (Protour73), James Shipka (James OLC), and me ...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/IMG_40081-1.jpg

"Runt" and I absolutely LOVE THIS CAR ...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/IMG_4032-1.jpg

Now... on to other business...

Since this is going to be the first time that Mary and I have an opportunity to play head to head I think that a little wager is in order... "Loser" (lower placing overall for the weekend) has to run the wet skid pad during OLoA next year... and has to wash the other one's car.

Ahhhhh yes ... the bet. More on this in another post.

Mary Pozzi

mpozzi
07-21-2011, 08:35 PM
And while Mark Stielow claims to live in Beverly Hills, MI, I don't think this is it ...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/IMG_4136-1.jpg

Here's Mark with his '69 Camaro "Red Devil."
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/IMG_4026-1.jpg

Both of these cars didn't fare to well against an Autobahn member's ride that lost it's brakes. Here's the "before" pictures ...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/IMG_4025-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/IMG_4036-1.jpg

Now ... on to the bet. Grab a brew, get comfy in a recliner, and enjoy a fun read!!

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

mpozzi
07-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Soooo ...

All throughout the event, James and I were pretty closely matched with him in second overall and me in third. James was second on the road course and the WilStop Challenge (Braking), and third on the autocross. Mark Stielow easily pounded us into submission on the road course and braking events while I took him to school in the autocross. As for me, my eight or so laps on the road course put me in third there, first on the autocross, and eleventh (yes, I suck at braking ...) on the WilStop Challenge. Just behind me in fourth overall was Mark Greenisen who wasn't going away quietly one bit ...

During the last two hours of competition, James and I were furiously calculating overall placings and it became apparent I had to try to improve my position in the braking competition. As we were leaving Timing and Scoring, James gave me explicit instructions "Use the yellow microfiber towels on the OLC's body and the soft, blue ones on the glass ..." which told me 1) he hadn't forgotten about the bet and 2) he knew his detail towels. This sucked!!

Besides the suspension issues, another pesky problem arose that was even more insidious ... a beautiful and very long crack on the left front rotor. This was a most artistic crack, too. It started at the outside edge, splintered into several paths, and sorta stopped near the center hat section. It also found a friend 180* out as well so I had the potential for double-trouble. And worse yet, I could "feel" it in the brake pedal at slow speeds. This also sucked!!

This is the crack before the final WilStop passes and it got worse ...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/IMG_4063-1.jpg

I ask James where he's shifting into third. James says "Uhhh ... third??? There's no third. I'm leaving it in second all the way." Wait ... what??? Our cars are pretty much identical with the same gearing, same transmission, same approximate power and torque, same right foot ... so why is my LS2 sounding like a machine gun for what seems like eternity while his LS7 calmly stays off the limiter the entire length of pass? Oh well ... if James says stay in second, then I'll stay in second. I apologize in advance profusely to the Camaro and the LS2 all the way to the starting area.

My first pass isn't remarkable and I'm .002 slower than my best of the morning. My second is okay and gets me from eleventh to eighth. James says "Take one more ..." I do and get a most perfect launch, ride the engine rpm up to about 6500, execute a lightning-fast 1-2 shift, mat the skinny pedal, pick out my braking marker, and get 3300 lbs of orange metal and carbon fiber stopped most lady-like in the box. As I drive around, Chad Reynolds of BangShift fame is razzing James up one side and down the other with "Dude ... she got you!!!!!" James jumps back in the OLC and makes several (dozen) passes but can't improve. Now this DOES NOT SUCK!!!

He stops at the trailer and I'm feeling sorta sorry for him for about ten seconds but after that eleventh passes, I realize that 1) I don't have to drive a wet skidpad at next year's One Lap and 2) I also know my detailing towels ...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/IMG_4102-1.jpg

And James ... the rest of the Camaro will be waiting for your love at SEMA!!!

Thanks again to everyone involved with the Heidt's Performance Car Challenge and the competitors. This was a world class event and one I had fond thoughts of every time I snuck a peek over at the passenger seat on that long drive home.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/IMG_4105-1.jpg

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

mpozzi
07-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Here's some more random pictures of the trip home ... all 2300 miles or so of it.

Somewhere in Nebraska after the third trailer tire blew out ...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/IMG_4127-1.jpg

Also in Nebraska at the end of the first travel day ...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/IMG_4110-1.jpg

Third day passing Battle Mountain, NV. It's an appropriate abbreviation, too ...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/IMG_4140-1.jpg

Somewhere in Wyoming ...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/IMG_4120-1.jpg

Oh ... and here's one more of James cleaning some very nasty wheels coated with mass quantities of brake dust. Just 'cause I can ...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/IMG_4094-1.jpg

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Van B
07-21-2011, 09:24 PM
It was fun to watch as I was cooked by then-almost literally. Seeing the level you guys were running at has given me renewed drive toward getting my car sorted out. Problem is, by next year you will be that much faster...

Chevrolaine
07-21-2011, 09:35 PM
LMAO Great story and pics Mary! Sucks to be James, did you ever have to yell "CLEAN, you B*TCH!" at him?

mpozzi
07-22-2011, 05:01 AM
James was a really good sport and his advice on the WilStop was huge. As my Camaro was parked for the day, I rode with him on the last track session and his driving was awesome. In most ways, the OLC is uncomplicated but if you get it pissed off, it'll tend to bite you just 'cause it can. James wasn't fazed by any OLC attitude one bit ...

Those Aero products are amazing and it's even more fun watching someone else demonstrate how well they work. Chad took a hilarious video of James vs four very dusty and grimy Forgeline wheels and hope he posts it up.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

James OLC
07-22-2011, 06:31 AM
:banghead: Sigh... I keep telling myself that the important thing is that you won your invitation to the OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational. And besides, I probably owed you some advice... hey... wait... I gave Mary Pozzi driving advice and it made her faster! :woot:

Seriously though it was a great weekend and more fun than I have had in a long time in the car (the cruise to Heidts not withstanding). Wally and FM3 did a great job organizing the event and the execution was nearly flawless. Like I told Wally when Chad and I dropped off the car Sunday night for some rest before the World Challenge race at Mid Ohio next month - this event should be a template for Pro Touring events. Professional timing equipment for every component, more "on track" time than you can use, and a great venue to socialize and meet people. What more could you have asked for? (besides a kart that ran?)

James "Rodney Dangerfield" Shipka :3rd:
Giver of driving advice to Fast(er now) Mary Pozzi

Bow Tie 67
07-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Good read Mary, the stop challenge was very frustrating. Here is video of my best run ( I did not realize my stepson left the camera zoomed in ) The black strip running across the track was causing most of the cars to lock up after hitting it. Good times

The red flag dude held up his fingers showing I missed the cone by 1" , ergo my response " I'm done "

http://youtu.be/sf26eCruioU?t=26s

66SuperSport
07-22-2011, 06:49 PM
After getting home and rested, I wanted to take the opportunity to thank Heidt's Hot Rod and Muscle Car Parts, FM3 Performance Marketing, Autobahn Country Club, and all of the individual sponsors for making the Heidt's Performance Car Challenge the best and most fun Pro-Touring style event I've ever participated in. From the initial "pre-event dinner" Thursday evening, the cruise up to and back from Heidt's cool facility and that yummy BBQ (that potato recipe MUST be shared), the entertaining driver's meetings both days, more track time than anyone would ask for, a decent and fun autocross on what first appeared to be a postage-stamp sized lot, very well thought out braking challenge, and the awards banquet (okay ... weenies and burgers isn't banquet fare but it was really good anyways), the organization, planning, and fun was quite apparent. Thanks again and I can't wait until next year ...

For me, thanks are also in order to Phil from the Roadster Shop as he loaned me Chris. On Saturday, Chris expertly welded up some emergency suspension repairs and got the Camaro back in the game for Sunday's competition. Thanks also go to Mark Stielow who "designed and fabricated" an impromptu engine breather system and I'm so tempted to have an engraved plate made with Mark's name and a P/N for "the tank." It worked quite well and as I can't remember who I "borrowed" the tubing for the vent from, if you are reading this, please PM me with your address and I'll get it back to you ...

There's a reason I only got about eight laps on the North Course as the breather system breathed a bit too well. You have no idea how much area a half quart or so of oil can get to but I'll tell you this ... it takes about two hours and several rolls of industrial paper shop towels to clean it up.

Mark's tank ...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/IMG_4050-1.jpg

And thanks to Bret Voelkel and the entire RideTech crew as their SA coilover shock package helped my Camaro get around corners very well. It's good to know I've got a few more adjustments available in the suspension tuning arsenal. Thanks, too for the hospitality during my stay in Jasper, IN ...

Here's a couple of random pictures ...

Scott Maki (Protour73), James Shipka (James OLC), and me ...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/IMG_40081-1.jpg

"Runt" and I absolutely LOVE THIS CAR ...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/IMG_4032-1.jpg

Ahhhhh yes ... the bet. More on this in another post.

Mary Pozzi

Mary

Don't worry about the vent hose. If it's still in your trailer I'll pick it up at SEMA/OUSCI.
Congratulations again on an awesome performance. When we found out that you, James, and Mark were going to be there we knew it was going to be a tough battle between the three of you. Sorry to hear about more trailer tire carnage on the way home. If that's the worst thing that happened I guess it wasn't too bad of a trip.
It was great seeing you all in our area and we look forward to having you come back next year.

Jim Nilsen
07-22-2011, 07:13 PM
What a time it was!!!!

I just got done pulling the rotor off of the right right rear and I can't believe I still have more than enough to turn it down and still have lots left. The pads are wafer thin on the other side too!

After seeing Mary's rotor I was thinking mine would be in sad shape from 3 stop challenge runs, 6 autox passes, the ride home and several trips around town to a couple of my favorite places and car shows. I know now that the stock Vette rotors are pretty damn good n durable and I will run the m till they can't go anymore.

I am trying to decide on pads and just don't have a clue as to what I want, If anyone has any idea as to what would be both good stopping power and long lasting I am open to suggestions.

I keep thinking about Mark's comment as to how drama free the event was and how we are all getting better across the whole gammet of event punishment and I want to thank him for the observation because I try my best to prepare for these events and have never done as good as I did even with problems. thought it would be a group C run of events for me after the 1st session in group B and I still can't believe I actually saw the blue and yellow striped flag and it wasn't for me, I would tell you who I passed up but it wouldn't be right since I am not totally sure that it was all me and the Cormaro that made it happen but it was fun and a big smile to know that I can run with the best out there and actually compete.

I was chasing Bill Herder for a session and was sure he would kick my butt because he so much more power and it wasn't until his bad luck I actually passed him. He really kept my foot deep in the gas and high end miss and the brakes got ate up chasing him deep in the corners. He has one heck of a beautiful car that runs as good as it looks. Hope you get it all back together Bill and it stays that way for a long time.

Karl Dunn also kept me pushing and it was as much fun in the parking lot as it was in the paddock. Hope he made it home and the front spoiler held up all the way from the cone damage. It was the 1st time working on a Mustang since 1977 when I had a 69 Grande 6 cyl 3 spd and it was a pleasure to see his car do so well. Parnelli Jones should be proud!!!

Thanks to all of you who gave me compliments about the Cormaro on how well it looked in the corners, who would ever think that a stock C4 setup would be so good?

Hope to be there next year all prepared and running like it should, I will be a lot more confident thanks to the best event I have run so far!!!

mpozzi
07-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks Chris ...

I'll make sure that hose gets back in the trailer and it'll be there for OPTIMA. The Heidt's event is on my next year "must do" list and thanks again for the loan. You saved me!

Mary P.

buickfunnycar.com
07-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Funny stuff Mary,bummer about the trailer tires,sorry I couldn't get you mine before you left.

dunnjun
07-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Yeah Jim thanks again. Your fix saved me from having the spoiler flapping around for the 8 hr. ride home. Boy I loved that track! It wasn't too technical. Just a lot of fun! See y'all next year.