PDA

View Full Version : Help! Door key not working - locked out!

G-Rob
06-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Just picked up a 69 Camaro and locked it up because I had to leave it outside for a while today.

Came back, put the key in the door cylinder, it doesn't go in all the way - probably about 80%. Spent 30 minutes wiggling the key, spraying WD40 in the cylinder, etc. Other door is worse. So basically I can't get in the car. Trunk works fine.

Any advice on next steps would be great. Otherwise I have to call a tow truck with a slim jim to let me in.

robertjra
06-09-2011, 03:02 PM
the trunk is different than the doors i had the same prob but the other way around try the ign. key

G-Rob
06-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Tried the ignition key again - still no luck.

robertjra
06-09-2011, 03:12 PM
lock smith is your best bet or a slim Jim

Chad-1stGen
06-09-2011, 03:52 PM
I locked my keys in my 68 Camaro at work the other day. I used a metal ruler as a slim jim and was in 10 seconds later...

Nessumsar
06-09-2011, 03:52 PM
If only you have vent windows...

Sounds like AAA or a slim jim is your best bet.

Bill Howell
06-09-2011, 05:12 PM
coat hanger, with a U bent in on one end and carefully wedge the window just enough to slide the coat hanger inside. Hook lock button and pull up.

G-Rob
06-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Bill,

Where do I slip the hangar? In between the door and rear quarter window or from the top? I was told to slip it between the two windows but I kept getting it caught in the rubber seal. May try again tomorrow morning.

Bill Howell
06-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Between two windows. Try starting at the top of windows. Once in, it slides down easy. Best deal is a wide wedge between to spread. Cut a wedge out of a 2x4 if available.

Bill Howell
06-09-2011, 07:41 PM
YOu can even use a old spoon or butterknife as a wedge but be very careful, too much pressure will pop glass. Of course at that point, gettin in won't be an issue anymore...haha

JEFFTATE
06-10-2011, 07:17 AM
Originally , on the '69 Camaro ,
GM used the Square Headed "E" blank for the ignition AND the doors .
The Round Headed " H" blank was for the trunk and the glovebox.
That way , you could give a valet the square key ,and you keep the round key , and they couldn't get into your trunk or glovebox ..
If your door key isn't going all the way in , you may be trying to shove the wrong type of blank into the lock cylinder ..
Chances are , the locks have been changed and do not match anymore .
But you should be using the square key for the door .

GM changed this in later years , and the round key fit the doors , trunk and glovebox , while the square key only fit the ignition .
Your door locks may have been changed to use a round key ..

John Wright
06-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Go through the trunk and take out the seat...trunk monkey style

sorry, I'm of no help.

Chad-1stGen
06-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Don't 69's have the lock halfway up the door? Gonna be hard to do the coat hanger from between the two windows I'd think. Maybe its only 2nd gens that they moved the lock mechanism

MrQuick
06-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Go through the trunk and take out the seat...trunk monkey style

sorry, I'm of no help. yeah, if you got a 29" waist like me your golden......a window seal wedge and a coat hanger will get you in.

Don't 69's have the lock halfway up the door? Gonna be hard to do the coat hanger from between the two windows I'd think. Maybe its only 2nd gens that they moved the lock mechanism
the rod still goes across the door body.
You pull up on the lever rod. I broke into my car with a pine cone, a birthday candle and a slur-pee straw once.

once you get the doors open, take your locks to a lock smith for a re tumble.

Red Rocker
06-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Maybe these threads will help.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196577

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10501

6'9"Witha69
06-13-2011, 12:30 PM
I broke into my car with a pine cone, a birthday candle and a slur-pee straw once.

This reminds me of a quote from the movie "Half Baked"!

NOT A TA
06-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I broke into my car with a pine cone, a birthday candle and a slur-pee straw once.

Sounds like a MacGyver delayed flare!

Window wedge and coat hanger or a slim jim.

G-Rob
06-30-2011, 04:30 AM
Thanks guys. Got it solved. Now onto all the other fun stuff to fix like the dim headlights!

John Wright
06-30-2011, 04:44 AM
Do they even make metal coat hangers anymore?.....you know the ones where we used to weld up the exhaust with when we didn't have any of the correct rods to use with oxy/fuel......LOL