PDA

View Full Version : Wider rim than tire tread width recommendation

Garymac69
06-20-2005, 04:53 PM
I'm getting ready to order a set of billet 18" wheels for my Camaro . I would like to maximize the width for the most attractive "deep dish" look that I can get without major mods (OK, I know looks are not the priority on this forum). I am looking at going with a 18x9" front wheel with 235/40/18 (9.25 section width) and 18x10" rear with 255/40/18 (10.08" section width). Will the tire width at the small end of the recommended rim width have adverse handling effects?
I now have 17x9" on the front with 255/40/17 and it rubs just slightly, so I thought a smaller width might just stop the rubbing.

Gary

jeffandre
06-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Would be reduced slip angle and increased steering response when you have tires that are at the smaller width of the recommended range. The taller the sidewall the more room you have to fudge it. I have a 17x9.5 for a spare with a 255 on it and I like the fit, nice and tight. I recall a racing nut telling me that you will get less feedback when you are close to loosing traction on a lower profile and/or smallish tire for the wheel. Defintely need to get used to it before you try to fly through a turn at a new personal best.