PDA

View Full Version : Posi/LSD for 8.5" 10-bolt

Nessumsar
06-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Hey guys, looking for a posi unit for my Nova. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, something like a stock-style posi would do just fine. I only have 3 criteria: cheap, not a spool, and 28-spline (I know, I know) :nopity:. I wouldn't be opposed to a 30-spline unit, but the car currently has 28's so I would like to not need new axles.

Just need something to make both rear tires earn their keep!

carguy502
06-07-2011, 06:39 AM
I love my Detroit Truetrac. Easy to drive on the street, offers great traction, and has no clutches to wear out. I have it in 28 spline in my Nova which is also 8.5. Can't go wrong with that!

Don

Nessumsar
06-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Bump.

carguy502
06-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Jon,

How cheap were you looking? I've had a couple of buddies run those Powertrax units that go into open carriers. They were noisy enough to hear and it was not nearly as smooth.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/Powertrax/Make/CHEVROLET/Axle-Model/GM-8-5-in/Axle-Shaft-Spline-Quantity/28/?Ns=Rank|Asc&autoview=ProductName

They are not that much less than a Truetrac and while you would save on the install, the difference in price would not be worth it so me.

Don

Nessumsar
06-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Don,

I had contemplated running one of those units, but have heard and feel the same as you. I really should just spring for a Truetrac, but if I do that I feel I should up a size to 30 splined axles, and that opens a hole nother can of worms.

I would really like to find something in the $150-200 range, to hold me over till I can afford to re-do my rear end.