PDA

View Full Version : Power steering help needed

ertoys
06-20-2005, 05:35 AM
I have a 67 camaro that I am installing power steering on.

I have installed a quick ratio box and I have a reman. pump for a 67 camaro with p.s. and short water pump.

The pump mounts on the drivers side of the block down low by the motor mount.

I also have a three groove crank pulley (summit) for a smallblock chevy with p.s. and a short water pump.

Now for the problem; the p.s. pump pulley sticks out about 1/4"-1/2" further than the last groove on the crank pulley.

Also my p.s. pump has a female pressure fitting and so does the hose, what to do ?

Please help
Ed

derekf
06-20-2005, 05:53 PM
My hose came with a male adapter for the end.

As for the pulleys, I can't help but think that one of the pulleys is wrong. Is this a small block or a big block? I can take pulley measurements on my BB if needed, or if it's a SB I'm sure somebody would be happy to measure theirs.

David Pozzi
06-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Ed,
check my web page, I have lots of PS info there.
First Gen Camaros have low perf and high perf pulley sets, all 1969 and up pulleys are deep groove but use the long water pump.

A high pef deep groove crank pulley with three grooves isn't going to line up with a low perf ps pump pulley, the crank pulley will stick out too far, and the opposite problem can happen with a low perf crank pulley and hi perf pump pulley set.

I highly recomend using the high perf deep groove pulley sets.

If your pump does not have a nut holding it on, then it's a 74-up pump and has a larger shaft size. It is deep groove but made for a long pump pulley set. A 74 Nova hose should fit your subframe and have the male end to fit your pump. I have a PN for it on my web page.

ertoys
06-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Ed,
check (http://thefullm.com/?go=check&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pro-touring.com%2Fforum%2Fnewreply.php%3Fdo=newreply%2 6p=63644) my web page, I have lots of PS info there.
First Gen Camaros have low perf and high perf pulley sets, all 1969 and up pulleys are deep groove but use the long water pump.

A high pef deep groove crank pulley with three grooves isn't going to line up with a low perf ps pump pulley, the crank pulley will stick out too far, and the opposite problem can happen with a low perf crank pulley and hi perf pump pulley set.

I highly recomend using the high perf deep groove pulley sets.

If your pump does not have a nut holding it on, then it's a 74-up pump and has a larger shaft size. It is deep groove but made for a long pump pulley set. A 74 Nova hose should fit your subframe and have the male end to fit your pump. I have a PN for it on my web page.

David, the pump does have the nut holding the pulley on. I believe I may have the wrong pulley it is GM and has a #3925537 DC? maybe its from a pontiac or something?

Also I will look into the nova hose.

David Pozzi
06-21-2005, 09:47 PM
I was told a Powercraft hose #70973 is the one to use. I'm guessing on the nova application but I believe by 1974, the pumps had the female fitting and a Nova in 1974 used a First Gen type Subframe.

You can also screw in an outlet fitting from a pre-1970 pump which has the male outlet, but should also use the older pressure valve.
David

ertoys
06-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Thank you guys very much you were both rite!

Derekf- you were correct it was the wrong pulley.

David- you were also correct that powercraft # worked perfectly.

I wont know for sure until I fire it up but it in a couple weeks, but it screwed rite on both ends!

Getting closer!:drive1:

David Pozzi
06-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Good!!! :)