PDA

View Full Version : US Grand Prix - Indy

CraigMorrison
06-20-2005, 04:44 AM
OK- So who watched the F1 race on Sunday? I can't imagine how angry I would've been to have traveled to the race and have 14 cars refuse to race due to tire issues. I am sure that did wonders for Michelin tire sales world wide and here in the US.

So, do you think this is going to hurt F1 world wide? What about the USGP race? Will they be comming back to Indy again and if they do, what the heck will the turn out be like? I also hope that the idiots that were throwing garbage onto the track will be charged.....what jerks. To be a fly on the wall of Bernie's office today.....

scogin918
06-20-2005, 09:53 AM
The guy that finished third had every right to be happy about his finish. I hope the fans weren't booing the teams that actually raced. They deserve kudos for continuing on. Kimi sounds like a young Elmer Fudd anyway. From listening to both sides, it sounds like Formula didn't want to back down on there no changing of the tires after qualifying policy. Michelin wouldn't guarantee the safety of the tires. The Michelin drivers wanted a chicane on turn 13. Nobody gave in, but they are all looking pretty bad right now.

censo69
06-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Well from spending a lot of money and being at the race I was needless to say very upset. But yes I do agree there was no need to throw stuff on the track. Maybe if I traveled form Argentina and spent that much money I would of felt compled to cause some sort of damage. (possibly slash all eighteen tires on the Michilen truck). But it definetly wasnt the fault of those who raced not even Ferrari wanted a no contest race. And it definetly wasn't the fault of thise who did not want the chicane why should the bridgestone teams have to change their plan of attack to suit the company that brought ****ty tires. Just my 2 cents.

Vince

CraigMorrison
06-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Hey Vince- You won't happen to be in Ohio for the next Indy car race will you? I've heard that Indy Car is letting in all USGP ticket holders to the race for free.

Michelin stock in France dropped 2.5% in trading today.

Steve Chryssos
06-21-2005, 06:20 AM
If this cluster**** happened at a European track, F1 and Michelin would be mortally wounded. Although, I personally do not think that F1 is to blame.

I like that it sends a message that Indianapolis is more challenging than any other track--worldwide. And Michelin could not run with the big doggies.

It will take some time for the dust to settle. Then it will be obvious that Michelin blew it bigtime.

brianj5600
06-21-2005, 02:26 PM
I think SpeedTV should fire David Hobbs. I got sick of hearing him Sunday. Is he an employ of Michelin or something? Black flag Schumacher? Reubens was blowing turn 1 all weekend. I think Hobbs might have been throwing stuff on the track, or atleast wishing he was.
It was a boring race, but only Michelin is to blame. It was unfortunate, but I think it was handled correctly. One thing I was very impressed by is the class of people in F1. Drivers, mechanics, and engineers handled themselves well at what had to be a very emotional time.

vanzuuk1
06-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Steve
It doesnt send a message that Indy is more challenging, the f1 cars dont run on the actual indy 500 oval, if thats what you mean. Monaco is probably the most challenging circuit that f1 visits. I think that f1 has not been healthy in years, this is another reason to be turned off.

One solution might have been to install the chicane and run the race as a non points event, or give the bridgestone teams points just for starting. Its not a perfect answer but it would have satisfied everyone except ferrari.

I think the fans got shafted beyond belief.

Motogp still rules; fast bikes, americans, tire smoke,wheelies and chicks.

myclone
06-22-2005, 01:45 AM
While being a fan of F1 mostly due to the technology it does bring a smile to my face to see the tea and crumpet crowd that always seems to look down on us "hicks" here in NASCAR country get rowdy :lol: . Not that throwing debri on the track is the right thing to do nor do I agree with it but it is nice to see the upper crust puts their pants on the same way us knuckle dragging hicks do (for lack of a better description).

Anyways, I feel bad for ppl who paid a lot of money to see the race and give F1 props for not bending the rules to satisfy one group ("run what ya brung and hope you brung enough"). I definately wouldnt want to have to be at the corporate meeting at Michelin the following monday to answer for the fiasco. Yeesh!!!

brianj5600
06-22-2005, 07:53 AM
The three F1 races I went to at IMS seemed about like any other race as far as the crowd goes. Most of the "tea and crumpet" crowd are in secure areas. I saw there may be penalties for the teams that pulled out. That may be a little harsh considering the points already lost by not competing.

censo69
06-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Any thoughts on wether F1 will be back in the US next year? I dont think Tony will hist them again. And no Unfortunatly I wont be able to make the indy race in Ohio but, I would like to catch one to see Danica(soooo hotttt).

Neil B
06-22-2005, 10:07 AM
What is so troubling to me is that these teams did not exhibit the behavior of a competitor or a race team. Real racers race at all costs, even when they are not competitive or the car has been compromised. Racing with a tire issue, no brakes, sticky throttle, partially wrecked car, etc. happens every weekend at every level of competition. Perhaps at this level of competition, the stakes are just too high, but to me, not racing at all is unacceptable. And if any of those teams were worried about racing instead of the bottom line, it wouldn't have been acceptable to them either.

Just my opinion. -Neil

elcamino80
06-22-2005, 11:28 AM
And if they didn't dare to drive through the last corner flatout then why didn't they just drive through the pits every lap?? At least two Michelin drivers would have gotten points...

And if it would have been the drivers choice to drive or not most of them would have been in the race I think

wantahertzdonut
06-22-2005, 12:12 PM
Hey Vince- You won't happen to be in Ohio for the next Indy car race will you? I've heard that Indy Car is letting in all USGP ticket holders to the race for free.

Michelin stock in France dropped 2.5% in trading today.

Yep, they are letting people with USGP tickets in for free at the Cleveland Grand Prix. Does anyone who's got tickets from the USGP (and not going to Cleveland) want to mail them to me so I can go?

censo69
06-23-2005, 06:05 AM
When is the cleveland race again?

wantahertzdonut
06-23-2005, 10:11 AM
This weekend, June 24-26.

CraigMorrison
06-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Michelin offers refunds to USGP ticket buyers.

Here's the story http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050629/SPORTS01/506290439

Bill Howell
06-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Great story Craig, nice to see a company step up, admit they had a problem and offer such an expensive refund.
I just know that giving the same issues NASCAR and the France family would do the same thing-Yeah right.

Craig,
Sorry I screwed up your post, I hit the edit instead of quote button. Larry is going to take away my edit ability if I keep doing that :banghead:

scogin918
06-30-2005, 04:22 AM
You should hear the smack being dished out by NASCAR track owner Bruton Smith. He says it will be 10-15 years before Formula 1 comes back to the states. Bill France of NASCAR said that they would have handled it differently than F1 did and would've been able to come up with a compromise. They see this as a victory for them. I'm sure before this happened NASCAR was more than a little concerned about F1 in the United States. With public comments like this, I'm sure they are trying to get the most mileage out this as they can.

CraigMorrison
06-30-2005, 05:36 AM
I'm a BIG fan of F1, and this absolutely kills me that this has happened to the USGP. I'm sure that NASCAR will exploit this to the fullest potential that they can. Bernie is knocking on Bills door! It also bummes me out because during the race, there was even discussion that F1 was looking to have a 2nd US race in either LA or NY, you can kiss that goodbye.

While it would be easy for F1 to leave, if they do next year it probably would be 10-15 years before they could come back. I think they are going to have to stick it out and hope US fans forgive them in the next couple of years. The US is the biggest consumer market in the world, and Bernie wants a piece of that pie.

If you ever want to go to an F1 race, go next year, because I am sure that you will be able to get some killer seats!

aero7minute
06-30-2005, 10:48 AM
I was at the F1 race, and have already renewed my tickets for next year. Even before the announced they refund of the ticket price.
Which works out for me, as it didn't cost a whole lot to drive down from Michigan.
I feel bad for the guys who flew out from Brazil, or Norway. Yeah they get their $100 back, but what about the 1500 in expenses?

It was unfortunate that the 7 teams didn't run, but I wouldn't risk 14 million dollars worth of car if the tire manufacturer said they might blow....

I blame Michellin for bringing the wrong tires. Just my 2 cents.

scogin918
06-30-2005, 04:48 PM
exactly. "run what ya' brung" and Michelin brought junk. Their fault, not Formula 1's. I have grown to respect Formula 1 and their drivers. There definitely a better sense of team than in NASCAR. DOn't get me wrong, the drivers are still superstars. But look at the huge amount of people that are on each team and how they react when their respective driver succeeds or fails. Plus the girls at the beginning of each race are way better than Whoopi Goldberg starting a NASCAR race.

brianj5600
07-01-2005, 02:36 AM
I don't get the part about 10 to 15 years w/o a USGP. IMS was ready and able to accomodate anything the FIA needed. The track is not the problem. If it was don't you think that one of the six that did race would have had a problem? Why would F1 not come back because of a supplier problem?

scogin918
07-01-2005, 04:51 AM
Not because of a supplier problem, but because they now have an image problem.

brianj5600
07-01-2005, 06:53 AM
I just don't see anyone at fault, but Mich. I think most people once they get over the loss will be ready to return. What if tires blow out in the tunnel at Monaco, would it jeopardize that race?