PDA

View Full Version : New Guy, 67 Camaro in Carolina

LonghornJPS
05-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Hi there, my name is John and (obviously) I'm new to the forum. I have a 1967 RS/SS Camaro coupe that I'm interested in upgrading to pro touring. It has a 350 (not original) block with a M20 tranny. Original drums on the back, aftermarket discs on the front, original suspension. I will be frame-off restoring this baby, but am a bit overwhelmed. Would appreciate input from the more experienced guys here.
I plan on having the 350 rebuilt. I'm torn as to whether to replace the Muncie with a 5-speed Tremec or to rebuild it. I also wanted to get your input on suspension upgrades. Detroit Speed seems to have some nice equipment, any thoughts? It seems as though there are 2 inch and 3 inch drops available, any thoughts as to which one is superior on my car? Also any suggestions with regards to brake systems would be much appreciated.
Sorry for all the questions! I've been wanting to do this for about the last decade, but had to finish med school and residency first. Now it's time to enjoy myself.

shopking68
05-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Welcome to the forum!

dan777
05-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Hey John...Welcome. I just joined myself earlier today, and since I'm starting on a 1968 camaro, I'll be interested to watch your posts.

Dan

CruizinKev
05-28-2011, 11:04 PM
welcome aboard John!

killer67
05-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Hey John! DSE, Global West, Speedtech, SPC, and a couple others make great suspension products. 2" drop springs by DSE are very nice pieces. KORE3 has a nice corvette brake kit that is reasonably priced. Baer pro-plus brakes would be the next step up. It depends how you will use the car. Give us some more details!

ga400
05-29-2011, 05:56 AM
welcome

qwik1320
05-29-2011, 06:09 AM
Welcome!

LonghornJPS
05-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, fellas.
Fernando, I don't plan on driving the car super-hard, but I do want the flexibility to push it. Here in western NC, the mountain roads can be fairly treacherous and are worthy of respect. I do plan on driving it pretty often, and will be doing 3-6 hour road trips on a fairly regular basis. Certainly, the stock suspension will need to be upgraded, but I'm not planning on getting real wild with it. Some of the guys on the forum have lowered the hell out of their rides. I'm trying to find the 'happy medium'. I do plan on doing a fair amount of highway driving, so that was the rationale behind a TKO or other tranny. I haven't researched optimal tire sizes/combos, so that is another area I'll have to address. Any guidance is appreciated. I am in the midst of studying for Boards and reading Huntimer's Pro-Touring book to try to get myself up to speed. BTW, your 67 avatar looks SWEET!

MyFriendScott
06-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Hi John. I've got a '67 camaro also and looking into the same things as you. My suggestion for lowering the car would be to find the rim/tire combo that you like, first. Get them on the car, then see how much clearance you have left over for lowering. It seems that once you know how much you can lower the car without issue, you'll have a better idea of the aftermarket vendors which you can choose from to get the desired drop.

From my own research, it seems that a 2" drop in the front, and a 1.5" drop in the back is pretty standard and pain-free (medical pun intended).Going lower requires rolling fenders, mini-tubs, sub-frame notching, relocating shock mounts, etc.

LonghornJPS
06-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Thanks alot, MyFriendScott. The info is much appreciated!

RS_Customs
06-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Welcome to the forum!

As I'm sure your finding, there are a lot of great people and information on the site.
Come join us at one of the pro-touring events if you have the time. 2 are coming up that are relatively close to you. PSMC in north Georgia in August and RTTH's in Tn in September.

Car or no car the events are a blast! It's like a big family reunion with fast cars lol.

Robert

Tucks69
06-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Welcome to the forum! You will find all kind of ideas and info here! Great group of folks hang out here! Check my build out I went with all DSE suspension! I went with the quadra link and DSE subframe, hope to try it out this fall!

SOM1969
09-21-2011, 11:56 AM
welcome!

ajg87
09-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Welcome!