PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Size for 73 Catalina Safari Wagon?

fggnfast
05-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Guys I just joined the site for many reasons. One is I'm hoping I can get some help trying to figure out what the hell the bolt pattern is for my 1973 Catalina Safari Wagon. I have been searching the web for awhile now and I'm getting alot of conflicting info. I have heard 5x5, 5x120.65, 5x127... you get the idea. I'm contemplating putting some 17" and 18" torque thrust type rims on it. I obviously can't figure it out if I don't know what the hell the stock bolt circle/BS is. When I look on Ebay it gives me 5x(metric). Can anyone help. I'm looking on Ebay because I will have to buy my wheels used. Are there any other sites (besides racingjunk) that I should check out for used wheels? Any help will be appreciated more than you know. Thanks.

Tom

JayR
05-24-2011, 09:49 PM
5x5" and 127mm are exactly the same and are both the correct answer. The stock rims should be stamped 5x5 as well to confirm. Don't bother with racing junk because there aren't many 5x5 racecars but you're in luck because most 1/2 ton GM trucks until 1999 were 5x5 along with Impala Super Sports from 94-96 so I would troll Impala sites like www.ISSCA.com and truck sites like www.Sportruck.com and www.67-72chevytrucks.com and cruise their classifieds along with using Impala, Caprice, Cheyenne, Suburban and Silverado in your searches at places like google, ebay and craigslist because these are all extremely popular vehicles to modify so finding big cheap aftermarket wheels will be easy.

It's your car so it's your call but there is no reason to stagger diameters on a car that size because you could tuck 22s front and rear so a 17 on the front with an 18 in the back of a car that size would make the 17 look like a 14. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to go 20s all the way around on that beast if it were mine and it will look killer and swallow up any wheel you put on it. Diameter is a very personal preference but I wouldn't suggest 17s and 18s as it will really be out of proportion in front.

fggnfast
05-25-2011, 06:33 PM
I went to where the car is stored and measured the rims. I know 20s would look killer on a car this size, but honestly I don't think I could afford tires and rims in 20" diameter, but we'll see what I can find. I think you have a point about staggering the sizes. Thanks for your input, as it is greatly appreciated!