PDA

View Full Version : Goodguys in Pleasanton last weekend

StRacerDuke
08-30-2004, 08:10 PM
I'm always floored and the level of knowledge that the general public knows when your at a goodguys show. So here's the scene.

My uncle and I arrive at O' dark thirty at the gates to check in for the car coral. Riding in the Diesel with trailer and project car in tow the plan is to pay for the 68 to be in the car coral. At the registration booth I fork over my $60 in cash (becuase you can't register for the coral in advance online). I am a little suprised to see that there is only about 10 spots left and they only have room for a total of maybe 75 cars. No worries though. We quickly learn that we can't pull of the 1 for 2 deal like we planned. We were going to leave the truck attached to the trailer and try to sell both. No go. To top it off you can't have any vehicles in the parking lot with for sale signs in them or you'll get towed. New rule I guess. :getout:
So, as we are ready to go in they tell us we have to purchase another ticket becuase we can only have one person come into the event with the car. Hmmm, another new rule from 2 years ago. :icon996: Right on guys! Oh, and they tell us that if you want two people to come back and get the car the second person will have to buy a full weekend pass. We opted for the one day. After supporting the Goodguys bottom line in this downward economy we pulled into our econo spot (With the trailer)

Now here's were it get's intersting. You figure that your typical person that is at a goodguys show when the sun is comming up is one of 3 people.
1. He has a car that he's showing off or selling
2. He's looking for a rare or special part at the first opening of the swap meet
3. He's a vendor at a performance company how has a booth there.
Eather way they probably have some advanced knowledge of cars. So, as I'm helping my uncle back the trailer into our econo spot when a savy gentleman approches me to educate us on a potential performance issue. I believe the exact wording was "Hey, your truck is running a little rich". Slightly perplexed I look at him sideways and reply, "It's a diesel". What get's me is that slight instant that I saw in his eyes when you know he wants to say something, but he just doesn't quit get what your trying to tell him. Confused, he turned and went on his way. :pat:

When we picked it up on Sunday (there was no one around to check if we had purchased the second pass) another swave gentleman approached and asked me "How fast is it?" Hmmm, clearly it was a primer rolling chasses, but if that didn't give it away he could clearly see (there was no hood on it) that it was missing a motor and transmission. Without missing a beat I said "As fast as you can push it!"
Here's your sign! :getout:

zbugger
08-30-2004, 08:45 PM
Heh... So I guess Beavis and Butthead are real?

MrQuick
08-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Sorry about that Ryan, the last time I was out there(earlier this year) they let me,my girlfriend and my friend in with the $40 car corral fee?????I guess it pays to be as good looking as I am. :screwy: WTF, that sucks,Them good guys nazi's (not to insult nazi's) are getting worst I suppose. Im not gonna apologize about the goof balls that where out there tho... :hmm: Well if you brought it to Pomona you could have made it into a classic pedal car and sold it for 30 grand????

TonyHuntimer
08-31-2004, 12:12 PM
Hey Ryan,

I've heard people call the GoodGuys... GreedyGuys. I guess they are living up to their name. Seems like they are doing everything in their power to make as much money as possible. I know people who have put a boycot on the GreedyGuys events. I like going to the events too much to boycot them. I don't buy any food while I'm at the events though.

What's a guy to do?

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

StRacerDuke
08-31-2004, 02:17 PM
It's all good.

I just got a good laugh out of it. Vince, I think the pedal car is a great idea. I'll market it as a rare delux special edition over size classic pedal car!
Greedyguys, nice. They really have some good car shows, it's just a paradigm change I my part I guess. I had always viewed them as in it for the consumers rather then the bottom line. My bad, they are a big business. This doesn't mean by any means that I won't be going to the shows anymore. I'll probably just stay way from the one pre 54 show and stick to the muscle car ones.

Gonzostyle
08-31-2004, 03:06 PM
Hey Ryan, I stopped by your car (nice job on it BTW), but no one was there. That was around 8:30am on Saturday. I have yet to meet anyone from this board....

-Jeremie

ZZ430
08-31-2004, 03:42 PM
It's an expensive weekend for sure.

We'll be attending our 7th Goodguys Colorado Classic in 2 weeks.

I like it because we can cruise the grounds all the time if we want, and then get a few laps track on Saturday evening. It's also nice to come and go as you please.

Around 1800 cars should show up.

I'm so burned out on car shows that you have to just sit there all day.