PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on my twin turbo 70 Malibu

INTMD8
05-17-2011, 07:12 PM
I've got a new project on the way so I listed my Malibu but the auction didn't really go anywhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330562040016&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEUSX%3AIT

Maybe I'm way off base but I know what it takes to build a car like this and it's a lot more than 20k. Any opinions on the value of this car?

Thanks!

Flash68
05-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Love this car! Now of course you know you never get back what you put in to these, but even though I love it, I think that this one is an especially hard sell compared to a simple Camaro or Chevelle. You've got good parts in the right place for the Sleeper effect, but I think it just narrows your buying pool tremendously.

Since you are asking, I'd say somewhere between 25-30k.

Black93GT
05-19-2011, 06:04 AM
I love the battery box. In fact I simply love the whole car. I'm a huge fan of sleepers, personally I just think it preserves the original beauty of the car but takes it up to another level. But I just love the idea for that box especially... totally inconspicuous.

73GA
05-19-2011, 07:47 AM
FWIW, your Chevelle is a knockout. The value is definitely there, but the market is a bit finicky right now. People are watching their money like never before. Having said that, I say don't be discouraged. Back in the early 90`s I put my 65 GTO up for sale. I`d done body-off-frame resto on the car and dropped a 71 455HO round port engine with a Doug Nash 5-speed behind it. There was a lot of effort into the car, much like your Chevelle. I advertised in Hemmings, (remember the days before the internet), and had a surprising number of calls. Everyone lowballed me. I wanted 20k for it, high in the day but not even close to what was in it. I thought, screw this, I`ll keep it. I had Hemmings pull the ad for the following month. Two months later, out of the blue a guy calls and asks if I still had it. After some discussion he comes for a look, is stone quiet for 10 minutes, then hands me 2k cash as a deposit and says if I help arrange transport he`ll pay full price! What I`m saying is if you can be patient and keep it out there and on the market for a while, and perhaps put up with a little BS, then someone will step up. I would bet there are some potential buyers out there right now trying to figure out how they can wangle their finances to buy this. Such a cool car. Stay positive, and all the best!

THE TECH
05-20-2011, 06:08 AM
Nice, clean car. My honest opinion is that it's prob worth $20k-25k. It's basically a nice stocker with an engine swap. A sleeper is cool, but I think with these cars, people either want something fully original or something more modded. Like, I said, nice, clean car but to me just missing something that would attract more buyers. I think a decent set of wheels could make the thing sell much faster.

INTMD8
05-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate the kind words.

73GA- Thanks and that's kind of what I was thinking as well. Thought maybe someone would like what I had done with the car.

The Tech- That's one way to look at it. I would think a stock 70 Malibu with Arizona body, nice paint, nice interior, detailed undercarriage and all new suspension/wheels/tires/12-bolt/stereo would bring mid to high teens. Now give it a twin turbo motor with overdrive and let it rock out 10 second timeslips while getting 20mpg and sounding/driving like stock. I would think that would add more than a few thousand in value but I'm entirely open to the possibility that I'm being unrealistic.

Anyway, thanks again for everyones input. If someone falls in love with it and comes around with some cash so be it. If not it will just take me a bit longer to complete the next one (plus I'll have something to drive in the meantime). :)

senor_camaro
05-26-2011, 09:01 AM
be patient, keep posting it and hope someone bites, it will sell for sure just gotta keep getting it out there

also put it on craigslist and other classifieds.

compos mentis
06-20-2011, 12:08 PM
I'vave always liked your car.

I plan on spending a lot of money building a '69 Camaro with same that bare bones COPO look. But if I ever sold it, to get the max return I'd probably put a great set of rims on it.

I think they'd actually make you money in this case.

However, I certainly understand you're not wanting to spend anymore money on a car you're selling. At the very least, I would flip the whitewalls and go blackwalls. It may seem like a small thing, but IMO the whitewalls are detracting somewhat from the appeal of your Chevelle.