PDA

View Full Version : Greatest race in the world !!!

E30M30
06-18-2005, 07:46 AM
I'm just watching the 24 hour le mans. Been there before an defenently going there next year!! If you are watching the race you'll see that the corvettes and aston martins are overtaking some of the prototypes in the straights. That's simply awesome !!

Steve Chryssos
06-18-2005, 04:27 PM
I've never been able to get interested in LeMans or endurance racing in general. I've tried. I even dedicated many hours of couch time one year in an effort to gain interest.

I've concluded that "LeMans" must be the french word for "lemons" because the cars sure seem to break down a lot.

Sorry.

Bill Howell
06-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Steve,
Why don't you plan on a trip with me to Daytona two weeks before the 500 next Febuary. I will promise you that after watching those cars drive thru the infield at Dayona, listen to them shift those straight cut trannys and see the rotors turn cherry red then cool every lap, you will be hooked.If that doesn't, watching them change a tranny or engine or frontend at 3am will. I agree that watching it on TV is not very interesting, but the sights,smells and sounds at the track will spin your zizwheel. The infield has some interesting side shows from time to time too if you catch my drift. It is one of the most fun 24 hours in the year. I should be through with the house by then so no expense just travel time. Try it, you like it! :icon996:

Blitz
06-18-2005, 09:10 PM
I love the American LeMans Series. Racing on a track that doesn't look like a mishaped bean, with 60% of the cars being recognizable is quite nice. :icon996:

Steve Chryssos
06-19-2005, 04:15 AM
Steve,
Why don't you plan on a trip with me to Daytona two weeks before the 500 next Febuary. I will promise you that after watching those cars drive thru the infield at Dayona, listen to them shift those straight cut trannys and see the rotors turn cherry red then cool every lap, you will be hooked.If that doesn't, watching them change a tranny or engine or frontend at 3am will. I agree that watching it on TV is not very interesting, but the sights,smells and sounds at the track will spin your zizwheel. The infield has some interesting side shows from time to time too if you catch my drift. It is one of the most fun 24 hours in the year. I should be through with the house by then so no expense just travel time. Try it, you like it! :icon996:

Okay. I've got pull at Daytona so we'll have nappy time in a luxury suite--well not together--well it will be together in the same suite--just not in the Michael Jackson sense.

(sorry Steve, I hit edit instead of quote.)

Richz68
06-19-2005, 04:34 AM
This stuff to me is one of the best forms of competitive racing/teamwork, engineering that there is. One of my good friends is over there in France right now because he is supporting the Miracle Motorsports team MIRACLE MOTORSPORTS.COM (http://www.miraclemotorsports.com/index.php) that was invited to participate as the reigning American LeMans champion. Miracle was invited to LeMans because they won the 12 hours of Sebring last season.

He works for Kumho Motorsports KUMHO MOTORSPORTS (http://www.kumhousa.com/Racing/ALMS/?RCID=3) and they support the Miracle team thoughout the year at the ALMS (American LeMans Series) ALMS.COM (http://www.americanlemans.com/home/index.aspx) as well.

Bill Howell
06-19-2005, 05:49 AM
Okay. I've got pull at Daytona so we'll have nappy time in a luxury suite--well not together--well it will be together in the same suite--just not in the Michael Jackson sense.

I forgot about your C.E. connection, that would be even better. He was the first real reporter I ever "rubbed elbows with" in the pits at the 24hour race way back in 1987-damn I am getting old-lol.
Like Rich says, it is quite impressive to just walk through the pits and see all the spares and sets of tires just waiting for their turn to do battle. It makes NASCAR look like a joke. They will rebuild a car right on pit road if neccesary. To watch the team of drivers make lap after lap for 24hours and never let up is truely racing in the highest sence of the word to me. Almost every team will have a major repair sometime during the race, but the never quit attitude is always what drives them to press on. The 1991 race was the pinnacle race to me because of the Nissan twin turbo cars. Within 5 or so laps, those two cars were lapping the field.They were so fast and so good in the infield portion of the race, it was scarey.The next year the GTP cars were open cockpit and were boring. The GT3 porsche won the next couple years as I recall.
Be warned though, if you go once, you will be hooked. Let me know, I will make plans now. :icon996:

Steve Chryssos
06-19-2005, 05:58 AM
Do it. Not C.E. though--D.B., as in **** Berggren.
EDIT: Oops. Big brother will not let me say ****: The nickname for Richard.

dgumoe
06-19-2005, 09:44 AM
steve, bill, you guys come to daytona count me in, ive been going the past 2 years and staying overnight....maybe we can even get phil to go too. whaddya think bill? i only live 5 minutes from the track.

MrQuick
06-19-2005, 10:12 AM
The American Lemans series is great fun to watch, tried but could not sit to watch the 24 for more than 2 hours. great action too....hey Steve, why can't you say Rich? See you at SEMA?

E30M30
06-19-2005, 11:55 AM
So now the the "real" le mans is over. And WE WON ! Tom Kristensen won overall in an American AUDI (champion team) And Jan Magnusen won the GT class in a C6. So you guys brought the cars and our little country brought the drivers. Certainly it's what motorsport. Nice watching the cars go more than 5 miles with a flat or missing tire. It's also very fun to see the race, because of the big difference in speed between the gt's and the protypes. And you have to admire the drivers for driving hours and hours in 70 degrees celcius. In fact one of the drivers in the c6 couldn't finish the race, so magnussen had to do it for him

Steve Chryssos
06-19-2005, 01:10 PM
steve, bill, you guys come to daytona count me in, ive been going the past 2 years and staying overnight....maybe we can even get phil to go too. whaddya think bill? i only live 5 minutes from the track.

Sounds good to me.

Vince,
Of course. Twist Machine will be at Booth 22281 in Hot Rod Alley.

MuscleRodz
06-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Lemans was cool, but I was even more hyped this afternoon watching the Grand Am series. There was a bunch of '05 Mustangs and the one leading towards the end, reminded me of Donahue or was it Penske in '69. It was painted just like it. Puke yellow with the Boss stripe. :drive:

Mike