PDA

View Full Version : Project Planning

Swairlines
05-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Where can I find a resource on the net or here at Pro-Touring about the proper planning of a project?

srh3trinity
05-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Start with a car and a budget. This site is a great resource. Some of the vendors can be really great resources. You need to figure out the goals for the build and then come up with a parts list. If you are going to have to pay as you go along, then you need to think about trying to be able to buy the right stuff to do it the first time the right way and not have to undo things as you go. For instance, I have my brake stuff for a swap, but I am not going to do that until I can buy my control arms/springs and go through my steering stuff so I can do it all at the same time. Budget in some extra room for all of the little things, they really add up.

Ryno
05-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Idiots guide to restoring Collector cars. Sounds corny, and it's targeted more to the numbers matching antique crowd, but there's some good info too

Ron.in.SoCal
05-13-2011, 03:23 PM
It's easy! Pick the best parts you can front to back, really. Price them out, multiply by 3 (and go check your bank balance). This is your project cost. Then guess-timate how long you in years think it'll take. Multipy that by 4. This is your project duration. Divide your total project cost by project duration and compare it to the previously checked bank balance. If you are anywhere close and still want to move forward, use some of said balance on a 12 pack and go enjoy your night!

(To the OP - This is all a joke Sir. If you would like some help send me a PM and I'll try to help)

tmadden
05-13-2011, 03:46 PM
2 words. Prodigy Customs

NJSPEEDER
05-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Step 1: Figure out how much you have or want to spend
Step 2: Come up with an attainable goal for both appearance and performance that fits in the budget
** When establishing the first two steps remember to keep in mind what you and your buddies have the ability to actually accomplish yourselves (optimism can be a great thing or an expensive thing, some serious thinking at this point determines which it is)
Step 3: Use the first two steps to pick a car or a narrow list of cars that can attain your goals
Step 4: Carefully select a car and start working on it

Big thing is to always keep your eyes on the goals and not get discouraged. No individual or shop has ever started a major overhaul of a classic car without running into unexpected road blocks.

-Tim

TomT
05-14-2011, 04:45 AM
Some good advice in this tread so far.

My two cents:
Set reasonable goals (considering your budget and available free time)
Set reasonable goals (considering your performance expectations)
Set reasonable goals (considering your skills)
Be committed to keeping your project as simple as you possibly can
Be committed to fighting against the snowball effect
Be committed to starting with the best car you can possibly find or afford
Be committed to finishing your project (before starting others)

Now if I would just practice the above I would save myself a ton of grief!

Twentyover
05-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Steilow's Building the Mule book has some insight

TomT
05-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Steilow's Building the Mule book has some insight

Hey Greg - where did you find your copy? I couldn't find one anywhere.
Tom

Twentyover
05-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Bought two from Scogin Dicky-One for me and one for my older brother.

Crestronwizard
05-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Some good advice in this tread so far.

My two cents:
Set reasonable goals (considering your budget and available free time)
Set reasonable goals (considering your performance expectations)
Set reasonable goals (considering your skills)
Be committed to keeping your project as simple as you possibly can
Be committed to fighting against the snowball effect
Be committed to starting with the best car you can possibly find or afford
Be committed to finishing your project (before starting others)

Now if I would just practice the above I would save myself a ton of grief!

AMEN!!! I fell victim to the snowball effect!

rfalker1
05-16-2011, 03:09 AM
DOn't forget about if you are planning on doing the work yourself or not. If you don't, then you have labor on top of parts and that can really add up even if you find a great and get a great labor price. Then if the car is not running you might have to get it shipped or rent a trailer too.

If you plan on doing it yourself, then just tools and band aids. lol