PDA

View Full Version : Global West A-Arm - Ball Joint Boots?

Rob68427
05-08-2011, 05:06 AM
Hello,
I have a 68 Chevelle with Global West front upper & lower a-arms, fatman 2" drop spindles.
I had the a-arms for about 4 years and never been driven on yet. I'm still building it, I'm hoping to get it on the road next week. Just started it.
I noticed that 3 of the ball joint boots are blown apart or ripped. They don't look dry rotted.
My question should I just replace the boots? Or The Ball Joints and boot?
Why would this be happening?
It hasn't been out of the garage.

Thanks
Rob

another69
05-09-2011, 05:31 PM
That sounds odd... Unused arms and ripped boots? Are you sure its not a relief for the old grease to ooze out of?

Rob68427
05-10-2011, 04:47 AM
I know, I don't understand it either. Nope, they are torn. I bought prothane boots. I want to change them out before i get an alignment. Not sure if I should contact Global West.

Thanks

monteboy84
05-10-2011, 05:56 AM
I wish these companies used rubber boots instead of urethane, they'd last longer and be much more compliant.

-matt

vidguy
05-10-2011, 07:56 PM
I had the same thing happen with the dust boots in my PTFbody kit 2 years ago. I put the suspension together and while I was finishing the motor over the next few months, the boots ripped.
I bought some of those red Energy Suspension (prothane) covers/boots at a yard sale of all things, and although I wasn't sure exactly how they would work, they have worked great. They are made out of something that is really slippery it seems. They don't bend really. It seems that they slide as the spindles move so they have not torn after about 2500 miles of daily driver use.

Rob68427
05-11-2011, 04:51 AM
Thanks
I'll give them a try.