PDA

View Full Version : Painting Camaro Grill?

third base
06-16-2005, 08:20 PM
I wanted to paint the grill on my 69' camaro(color, surrounding a black center) and I wanted the center of the grill to be gloss black(to match my gloss black tail peice). my painter told me that it would be difficult to paint it hi gloss because of the prep work associated with all of the 90 degree angles(getting the plastic primer to flow out and adhere correctly). He also said painting it would be difficult because of runs and orange peel and the uncertanty that he could get it flat and shiny. He said that because of the prep work, and it being plastic, he was afraid of delamination. BUT, he can shoot it satin black and he won't have any problems with that(any different process???).

Does it sound like he just doesn't want to put the time and effort into it and he is feeding me a line of bulls#&t because he has already shot it? Or is he correct with what he is telling me?

ProdigyCustoms
06-17-2005, 12:55 AM
He's jerking you off or lazy! First off it wont need any primer if it is in decent shape, and it is not in good shape, I would find another. A scotch brite on the finger tips and one hour tedious sanding will have it ready for anything.. He will have to spray it from both sides, and all four angles, but if he cannot do that without getting runs, he needs more training.

Happyfunballs
06-17-2005, 04:27 AM
PC's right.

third base
06-18-2005, 09:32 PM
I thought it sounded like Bulls$*t. I Gave him the go ahead to do what he thought would look good, so I guess we will pray it doesn't look like crap and see what happens.

MuscleRodz
06-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Other than being a real PITA to just paint it, he doesn't want to do it.

Mike