PDA

View Full Version : varisprings

ROLLDAMTIDE
05-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Whats the best "backyard" way to get these *&$#% springs compressed enough to get the top flat piece on???They are single adjustable that came with my G-Link. I have tried all kinds of dangerous ways and finally thought somebody has got to know a better way....Thanks

Bryce
05-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Is the bottom nut on the coilover screwed all the way down? If so you should not have to compress the spring to put it on a coilover. The spring may be too long.

ROLLDAMTIDE
05-01-2011, 12:20 PM
The bottom nut is down as far as it can go without hitting the knob. The instructions say that I might have to compress it a little but I didn't think it would be this hard! LOL

Bryce
05-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Do you have spring compressors?

Bryce
05-01-2011, 12:23 PM
How much do you have to compress the spring? and what spring rate?

ROLLDAMTIDE
05-01-2011, 12:31 PM
I only need about an inch. I have some coil compressors but they are the ones that go inside the coil. I can nearly get it just by pushing it down but then my hands are in the way!

Dee T
05-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Try using some ratchet straps. If you only have about an inch they shoul work pretty easily.

ROLLDAMTIDE
05-04-2011, 08:06 AM
LOL yeah I have tried that but my ratchetstraps were of, let's call it, inferior quality!! I got 'em pretty tight and it looked like it was gonna work. They got really tight and all I could think of was the great deal I got on them. Like 6 straps for $15 or something like that.... Needless to say, the tighter they got, the tighter my ••••••• got too!! I'm gonna get some good straps and try again! Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Jim1940
05-04-2011, 01:33 PM
It is a good idea to make sure you have the correct spring for the shock first. The g-link uses a 5.15 travel shock with a 12” spring. We have a spring compressor designed for the VariShocks. It is a very simple easy to use tool. http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/support/VAS/VAS_200/VAS_200_AT.jpg
Jim @ Chassisworks

67chevILL
05-04-2011, 01:48 PM
LOL yeah I have tried that but my ratchetstraps were of, let's call it, inferior quality!! I got 'em pretty tight and it looked like it was gonna work. They got really tight and all I could think of was the great deal I got on them. Like 6 straps for $15 or something like that.... Needless to say, the tighter they got, the tighter my ••••••• got too!! I'm gonna get some good straps and try again! Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

LOL too funny on those straps..must of got them at harbor freight...

I would just get some outer coil compressors..

good luck buddy.

ROLLDAMTIDE
05-04-2011, 03:46 PM
I GOT IT!! I had two of my heavier co-workers stick the rubberized handles of a 30" pair of channel-locks thru the springs and get on each side to push down against the floor and we got it!! Thanks for chiming in Jim, and nothing against your tool, but I just couldn't make myself buy that compressor!! After getting it seated, the spring is back to almost no load on it so I think it's the correct spring, I just didn't expect to have to compress it to get it on. Thanks everybody. It's been an experience! Hardest part of the G-Link install! ( due entirely to my hardheadedness ) that's a compliment to the G-Link. I have not driven my car yet but the install as a whole, was as simple as I could have hoped for.

The WidowMaker
05-04-2011, 07:52 PM
i didnt have to compress mine, but my shock is slightly longer as well.

Jim1940
05-05-2011, 07:25 AM
Glad you got the springs on !!

Jim@ Chassisworks