PDA

View Full Version : setting a carbed engine up for a turbo

65turbocoupe
04-30-2011, 09:28 PM
I have a 1965 mustang with a 170 inline six engine that is currently all stock. I want to turbocharge. What will I need to do to modify the carb to accept the turbo? What other mods will I need to do to the engine? And what kind/size turbo would you guys recommend? Thanks

shmoov69
04-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Www.theturboforums.com
Go there and do LOTs of research and reading.
Sounds like it could be a fun car, I wanted to do a 1st gen Camaro that way.

66larkgs
04-30-2011, 10:17 PM
I have a 1965 mustang with a 170 inline six engine that is currently all stock. I want to turbocharge. What will I need to do to modify the carb to accept the turbo? What other mods will I need to do to the engine? And what kind/size turbo would you guys recommend? Thanks

Thier is a formular to find out how much cfm of air your motor needs. i Forgot the formular off hand but you will match up the turbo map and your motors needs to get the pair right. if you have to big of a turbo you get lag and it will spool to late in the power band, if it is too small it will spool real fast but run out of steam of the top end. You have to match it up, i would say a 50mm turbo and a .50-.65 exhaust housing should be close due to the small size of the engine. I would talk to CSU about your carb, they are the ones who built my carb for my blow thru turbo setup. great guys and would highly recommened.

Paul
66lark gs turbo nailhead
http://s917.photobucket.com/albums/ad19/66larkgs/