PDA

View Full Version : Got the Camaro back on the road today but.......

shmoov69
04-30-2011, 08:42 PM
I played too hard with it and broke it! I knew the more HP from the bigger turbos would find the weak link, just didn't expect it to happen without slicks and the dragstrip!!
I just got the car back from a friend who put a 6 point cage in it for me, oh and built a fuel tank with baffles and stuff. I changed the tune a little for the new turbos with the 6AL2 and was playing while running around. So I was in second and stabbed it pretty hard and it was spinning pretty bad, but trying to hook and chattering and all. About 5,000 or so there was a big pop and high C'd the motor when it unloaded. So I idle into a parking lot, the motor still running but now it has a little clatter to it, but nothing getting to the rear tires. So after analyzing it for a minute I see that the driveshaft is not turning in any gear. I get a ride to get the trailer and push it on (and rip off the spoiler in process!), take it home and unload it. I pull the valve cover to see what the clatter is and see 1 rocker stud sitting about a half inch higher than the rest.
So I have a junked transmission and need to get screw in studs. I also look down and see a drip coming off the bottom of the master cylinder. SUCK!! Engine and trans needs to come out and worked on, along with a master cyl, new brake pads and shoes (yes, you read correct...SHOES!), front tires and get oil restricters for the turbos. All before the end of the month so I can go to the Run To Music City event to try and tear it up there!!
SUCK!!! I ain't got the extra cash for all this!!
But in all reality, this TH350 trans that I rebuilt has had a good run! About 8 years and LOTS and LOTS of beating!! Now, what kind of suggestions does anyone have to make this thing hold up for the extra HP & TQ I have now? It already had the good TCI clutches and steels in it, but I'm sure it was some hard part failure today.

Also, turns out that a "weak point" for Vortec heads is the press in studs...why hasn't someone told me this before now?!? LOL!

Anyone want to come to Springfield, MO to help wrench?!? LOL:cheers:

David Pozzi
04-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Get the 7/16" big block studs, more heavy duty with less rocker deflection. But you will need new rocker arms. Press in studs were trouble way back in the 60's, but then the stud holes were drilled into the water jacket so if one pulled out you got water in the oil.

MonzaRacer
05-01-2011, 01:31 AM
I made a block after a tool my old boss had to pull then retap heads for straight screw in studs. Made from like 3/4 in thick steel. I just measured out side to outside of studs on sbc then milled 2 holes. nut holds down with one stud, then pulls and replaces one as it holds the tap straight to get it started.
done hundreds with it till it got reallocated(read stolen)

Steve1968LS2
05-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Bummer to hear.. Look at it as an excuse to rebuild it even better!

As for the front spoiler.. I buy mine in bulk at Costco...

shmoov69
05-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Lol, I'll have to check Cosco!
Well, now I'm trying to decide to just go ahead and yank the engine/trans so I can pull the heads and do all of them. Or just fix the one and hope it won't happen again on the other 15! The issue may be the amount of power it is pumping now. From the "seat of the pants" dyno I would guess an additional 150 HP or so from where it was before the new turbos, which was 550 at the wheels.
On the trans, what is some suggestions from y'all? It was a TH350 that I had built with the good TCI clutches and rebuild parts. It has held up very well considering the beatings and miles it had on it. With the extra power it now has, will a TH350 ever hold up? Will a TH400 hold up? What "special" parts will it need to last? Is a 4L60 or 80 an option that would be affordable?
Thanks!
Jimmy

moreHP
05-02-2011, 07:04 AM
Booooooo! Breaking stuff sucks! As far as the trans goes, I would go to a TH400 if you dont want to go with an overdrive trans. The 400's can take a ridiculous amount of abuse once they are built up. Not a lot of people put a lot of power to the 350's on a regular basis. While not a cheap fix, you could consider either a 700R or a 200R because there are plenty of parts available to make them live behind big horsepower. The nice thing about the 200 is that is has the same dimensions as your turbo 350 lengthwise. You would have to rework your crossmember for the trans mount but your driveshaft should still work if I remember right so that saves a few bucks.

shep
05-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Transgo makes a kit to convert a 4l60 or 80 to full manual.

AintQik
05-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Oh no he didn't! :)

Bummer to hear.. Look at it as an excuse to rebuild it even better!

As for the front spoiler.. I buy mine in bulk at Costco...

shmoov69
05-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Well I thought I remembered that I may have a th400 left over from tradin stock years ago. And after doing some digging thru the shop at work, there it is! Along with a glide! But it is a long shaft trans and not a short. Will that matter in the 69? I will already have to shorten the driveshaft, but not sure if there is any fittament or other issues with a long tail?

shep
05-03-2011, 06:39 PM
trans cross member will need to be moved back and shorten the drive shaft, I think that is it as far as bolting it in.

shmoov69
05-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks Brad! I will have it all out tonight. It is ready to pull now, just need to hook up a chain and unhook the motor mounts and knock the crossmember out.

rfalker1
05-04-2011, 01:10 PM
aaa

rfalker1
05-04-2011, 01:12 PM
wow Jimmy I never new you was from springfield, I am from st. louis. SOrry to hear about the problems too, but for for the tranny I would go with the 700-r4 or the 200, and have them build the first 3 gears the same as your 3 speed was, then make the overdrive gear into something nice and gas friendly for cruising just my opinion though. Wish i could but in france currently.

shmoov69
05-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Well, I got the trans out and diagnosed last night. I pulled the convertor off and it looks fine. I grabbed hold of the input shaft and is spun freely with a growl. So, I yanked the pump and then the first gear drum set and look under the bottom and see that the splined part of the shaft was just spinning in the drum. A little closer and see that the drum is Busted (cracked) all around where the splines marry into it.
The rest of the trans looks good tho. So, if I fix the input shaft and drum, what would be the next weak link? I'm sure that it is getting a TH400 (because I have one) after I rebuild it and beef it a little.
But I was wondering what the most likely thing that would break after that?