PDA

View Full Version : New guy from TN

Tn94z
04-26-2011, 03:16 AM
Well, I am new to pro touring. My name is Bryan and I am 33 and I have been around racing all my life and have had several cars that have all found new homes. I don't really have any pictures of them on my pc. But I have had 2 mustangs, 3 F-bodies, and a really nice 92 show truck. This past year I sold my 2008 TrailBlazer SS (my baby) to help fund my wife's venture into nursing school. I picked up a 96 S10 that is really beat up, but it gets good gas mileage and gets the job done. The problem is now I don't have anything to wrench on and it's starting to drive me crazy. I have been toying around with many different ideas that my step son and I can do together and I can start teaching him some things. I had thought about getting another car. Then I bought a 6.0L block to build a 408 turbo motor and turn the s10 into a drag truck. Then I saw some show cars and that brought back memories. Then I watched some pro touring stuff and BINGO!!! The best of all worlds in one package. So now, that is my goal.

Next problem is deciding on what to use as my base. I thought about using the s10 since I already have it. But the more I look at pics and project threads on here, the more I am falling in love with the way the 72 Nova's are looking! Those cars, when done right, are just pure sex on wheels and I think that may be the direction I head.

Anyway, that is my introduction. Any tips or suggestions for a newbie looking to get into pro touring would be GREATLY appreciated!!

CruizinKev
04-26-2011, 11:39 AM
welcome aboard! :twothumbs

The Stickman
04-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Welcome to the group. S-10's can be made to handle very well. I had a 1st gen that I used to AutoX and do track events. The weight balance thing was kinda it's drawback(61/39). It handled great but just didn't like being upset. Disturb the chassis while running hard and it would bite. But knowing this made it easy to drive on the track. Very few things to upset the chassis like a bump in the road or whatnot.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/12/ebay3801-1.jpg

Tn94z
04-27-2011, 06:10 AM
Welcome to the group. S-10's can be made to handle very well. I had a 1st gen that I used to AutoX and do track events. The weight balance thing was kinda it's drawback(61/39). It handled great but just didn't like being upset. Disturb the chassis while running hard and it would bite. But knowing this made it easy to drive on the track. Very few things to upset the chassis like a bump in the road or whatnot.

That was one of the things I figured would be an issue. I want to build something that can handle the corners and that I can stick in a car show as well. My step-son likes car shows. So I want to build something useful for all areas. The s10 still isn't out of the question....but the more I see the older cars, the more I am leaning that way. Who knows??? I have a lot of ideas. I have plenty of time to put it together though. I'm not jumping in until later this year. I wanted to come here and do some reading and get my ducks in a row before getting crazy!! HAHA!!

Great site. I love what I have seen so far.

cobragt
04-27-2011, 06:50 PM
If you do build the S10 you should consider boxing the frame. Trucks on Spike TV is building a 5.4 supercharger Ranger and that was one of the first things they did.

cobragt
04-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Here is a link for the Ranger build, All the episodes are on there. They call it Rolling Thunder. It's actually a Mazda P/U that they added the Ranger sheet metal too. http://www.powerblocktv.com/site3/index.php/trucks-episodes?ep_num=TK2011-04&ep_sea=1001

ssmike
04-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Welcome. This place is fantastic for information, new friends, and spending your money! I have a 72 Nova that is about to be road worthy, so let me know if you have any ?s

TrannyMike
04-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Welcome! I'm a newbie here too.:cheers:

jfreakofkorn
04-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Welcome to the site! Im also new and clicking the threads on the site. Learning alot here =)