PDA

View Full Version : Garage chassis table

Motorcitydak
04-25-2011, 09:51 PM
After a little measuring, I have realized that my chassis is tweaked. The right front corner corner is up about 1/8 inch and I really would prefer to fix it now before I go any further. As it sits now, the car is just resting on jack stands in the garage. My idea is to be able to straighten out the chassis without moving it.

Im thinking that I can just drill a few mounts and eye bolts into the concrete floor and use some turn buckles to to secure the 3 straight corners then tighten down the one bad corner until it matches the rest. I know that this idea will not get it perfect but it will at least let me get the car rolling to be taken to a proper chassis table

Any thought here or maybe a better idea to do it? The car is a bare shell rite now and cannot even hold front tires at the moment. I can't/don't want to get the car out of the garage so how ever I fix it, I want to do it myself in the garage. I also have some pretty strong pneumatic rams that can assist me if they mite come in handy

The WidowMaker
04-26-2011, 05:38 PM
1/8th is well within spec for anything from this era. refer to your chassis manual for exact numbers though.

David Pozzi
04-26-2011, 06:58 PM
What are you measuring from? Your floor could be off that much.

CamaroAJ
04-26-2011, 08:23 PM
most garage floors are 1/8"-1/4" drop over 4'. so thats about an 1.5" from front to back.

Motorcitydak
04-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Crap, Im not sure why but I never actually figured that my floor would be off. I was just measuring off the cement garage floor. I have laid a few pieces of steel on the ground (tube and plate) to check that the floor is decent but the longest piece I have is 6 feet. I guess Ill just deal with it for now, thanks guys

monteboy84
04-27-2011, 05:04 AM
Never trust concrete to be straight, always check it. Even if the floor IS straight, 1/8" isn't really a big deal, you could compensate for that quite easily with your suspension adjustments.

-matt

John Wright
04-27-2011, 05:07 AM
use something on top of the floor with adjustable feet or use shims to get the measuring surface level first.

shortrack
04-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Heres what I did to level mine...The left front was the highest point....RF needed 3/8".....the two backs are 1".....I bought the laser transit for $35.....I stained the wood with waterproofing stain so if it happened to get water on it there would be no swelling or warping.....I marked the floor around the wood so the wood will be placed in the exact same spot every time.......D

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/04/newstuff028-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/04/newstuff007a-1.jpg

Jim Nilsen
05-01-2011, 08:42 AM
How do you know the jack stands are all the same too? You have to check everything or start with a perfect zero reference point somewhere.

If the floor is not level but very flat the car will measure up close and the measurments will be in the same plane even if it isn't level.

Get a laser level and measure the floor at your jack points and shim them till they are level and then mark the floor and number each set, you now will have a working point to start when you put the car up in the air. Now you can go around and check the car to the laser and see what's going on.

An 1/8 in. is really nothing to worry about, lots of cars were out that much when made.