PDA

View Full Version : 1962 Chevy Nova V8 Swap ?

Bclarke
06-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Can I easily swap a Small Block into a 1962 Chevy Nova ? It has a straight six now.

graycamaro
06-19-2005, 12:24 PM
I had a 1965 nova and the only problem I know you will have is with the oil pan. The early novas used a different pan. There should be a converion pan available. You probably wont want to go withe the deep moroso pan because you will bottom it out very easily. I had this pan on my Nova and it was smashed in a good inch or more. I think Miloden has a slightly shallower pan but probably still hangs to low.

Another problem would be if your running an HEI distributor it will hit the firewall.

James

chicane67
06-19-2005, 02:58 PM
I had a 63 and a 64..... and the only 'challenges' I forsee are the headers and finding some front end parts, if you are going to use the stock front sub.

The oil pan really wasnt an issue as long as you used short sump length and dont go too deep...... if its gonna be a lowered street chassis. You just have to do your homework in the pan manufacturers catalogs.

As for distributor, at the time I was running a Mallory Comp 9000, which is just as big as an HEI. No problems there either......... as it comes down to the subframe engine mounts, because it will change the placement of the engine in the bay itself.

But there is nothing like a SB in a little Duce.... light weight... and fast are the end result.

Bclarke
06-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks, I figured it would be a matter of OilPan, Headers, and engine mounts.

HOw about the tranny ? It has a powerglide , do they bolt up to the SBC ?

zbugger
06-19-2005, 03:26 PM
The powerglide should just bolt right up to the engine. I don't think it'll handle the power without an upgrade though.

Bclarke
06-19-2005, 03:56 PM
The powerglide should just bolt right up to the engine. I don't think it'll handle the power without an upgrade though.

Thanks, the 327 if fairly mild. When it was in my camaro it did 218 HP to the wheels.

rocketrod
06-19-2005, 05:26 PM
I put a SBC, originally a 6 cylinder, in a 63 coupe. The headers were the biggest problem. Had to massage the inner fenderwells and headers using a torch and BFH. The only other problem was the carb. linkage. If you have access to a welder you can take the 6 cylinder linkage and cut it off where it meets the firewall, then flip it over and weld it back and lines up perfectly and looks like something from the factory. Ditch the PG it won't last long behind even a mild SBC and besides the TH350 will slide right in.

Bclarke
06-19-2005, 05:57 PM
thanks for the tips

chicane67
06-19-2005, 08:39 PM
Go 200-4R..... it you have the means.

chevy2inreno
06-21-2005, 11:48 AM
The stock V-8 equipped 64-67 Nova's came with a front sump oil pan that used a specific oil pump, pump drive shaft, pickup, pan, dipstick and tube. The engine block and exhaust manifolds were also unique to the early Nova.

The oil pans are readily available but there are several versions of a rear sump pan, with cutout for the centerlink, on Ebay all the time for about $60-$70. They are a low profile design, not as deep as the Moroso type, and look like they should work well, without using a special pump assy.

You will also need V-8 specific frame mounts and I think the rubber engine mounts are slightly unique as well. V-8 throttle arms are also different but readily available. Headers are offered by Summit, J&W Nova and just about anywhere else and range from $80 to $400++ for the small block. Don't forget about stiffer springs, a sway bar is a must (original between 62-67 in wagons, V-8 cars and police/taxi cars), bigger radiator, a 5 lug swap for front and rear suspension (from any 64-67) for beefier components, easier to source parts and bigger brakes, and changes in wiring due to distributor and sending unit locations. An HEI will fit some cars, and not others, probably based on production line inconsistencies, so it'd be worth checking on your car before spending more money on an aftermarket distributor.

Any trans will bolt up but your existing powerglide should be a L6 version which has fewer clutch discs than the V-8 trans.

Please email me at [email protected] if I can help with any other questions.

Dave

graycamaro
06-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Chevy2inreno are there pictures of your car anywhere online? If so where If not can you post some.

I could be mistaken but I dont think they made a convertible in 65. So how did you make yours. Early body with a 65 frontend or did you chop the 65 and make it a convertible.

James

chevy2inreno
06-25-2005, 07:38 AM
James,

I've been lurking on the board but haven't posted pics yet. You're right, they didn't make a 65 SS Nova vert. I have a 63 Nova 400 Series that I converted the tailight sheet metal and the entire front clip with all 65 parts. It was my daily driver from 1986 to 2001 with a hot L6 and 5 speed. I haven't driven it since 2001 when my daughter was born but recently picked up a HTH rear suspension kit, 9 inch, Chassisworks front clip and Goodmark cowl hood. Hope to get it into the shop in the next month or two to start the HTH install. Plans are for a 400 sb and Tremec with 17X8's.

Here are pics. I've since collected all the trim to make it a correct 65 SS and will install it all after body and paint.

graycamaro
06-25-2005, 12:29 PM
Nice Project. Keep me posted on your progress. Seeing those pictures makes me want mine back even though it was a rust bucket, floors, frame rails, fenders, quarters, A pillar, etc. Rusted out.

AMD6769
05-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Do You Have A Header Part # 66 Nova W/a4 Speed

Lowend
05-06-2006, 05:17 PM
If you want a V8 Nova header - the hands down best fitting I have ever found is
http://www.sandersonheaders.com/pagesbypartnum/cc14.htm
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

George
05-13-2006, 09:33 AM
62-63 have less frame bracing that 64-67. They arent totally V8 ready. Your powerglide will burn out and it really isnt worth using.

I have a 64 you just need the V8 egine mounts and it will slip right in, along with new front sump oil pan and oil pump, pickup and drive shaft or the distributor won't seat. Make sure you tack the sump or something as it gets some levage and I wouldnt trust just pressing it in.

My powerglide burned out in a week. I now have a th350 that is built pretty heavy, and rebuilt the 8.2" to posi with 3:73's. You need a new rear to handel the power too as you have a front loading rear that I believe is weaker and a pain to work on.

But it will all bolt up and work as is

I used some headmen headers that fit perfect and didnt hve to cut anythind. The biggest problem was mounting the accesories, mainly alternator. I ended up with a march performance and still had to dimple the valve cover to fit it as you have very little room between the shock tower and the valve covers and you cont lower mount it because of the frame rail.

I just finished a power front ssbc disc job, all new poly bushing, edelbrock shocks, moog ball joints, moog springs from my firebird that I cut 1.5 coils from. I had a major pain getting the alignment done and I had to downsize from 225-50-15 to 205-50-15's as I was clipping the rear of the front fender well badly, now it has about 0.5" clearance but I need to figure something else out to move the wheels forward slightly and still align it.

I got the car from the original owner woth the original reciept of purchase, owners manual in the plastic, and I've completely restored it to original except for drivetrain, I know i doesnt fit in the pro-touring but thats what my firebird is for. Email me if you have any questions as I've been there done that.