PDA

View Full Version : No rear travel, G body rear...

GregInAtl
04-24-2011, 02:31 PM
I have an 86 GN and lowered the rear w/ Moog springs, dont recall the #...but they ended up taller than stock, so I cut them. Bad move, rate was huge then and rode horrible. SO I removed them and put OEM in to get height where I wanted it. (That meant cutting off a rear coil).
Now the rear lips of the GNX flares are 26" off the ground and it literally has zero travel. I know I need to frame notch for the rear disc (S-10 kit that hits the frame). hopefully a separate problem that will be fixed soon.
My question is does anyone w/ drums or brake clearance have their car lowered to the point they have no travel?! Its only lowered 1.5" in the rear I'd guess. What am I missing.46290

GregInAtl
04-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Wow, 27 views and no ideas. I know they sell 1.5" spring kits for the car, so why is mine w/o travel?!?!?

Norm Peterson
04-26-2011, 04:27 AM
Your original springs may have settled enough that a 1.5" lowering spring wouldn't have changed things much. Then when you cut them even shorter, you would end up with not much travel remaining, either with the lowering springs or replacement OE's.

Just what size are your tires (and wheels)? If they're much taller than OE (as I suspect is the case), that 26" measurement will be misleading as far as actual clearance to the bump stops is concerned.

Norm

John Wright
04-26-2011, 04:44 AM
Actually, You should opt for stiffer springs when you lower it anyway....otherwise you will always be on the bump stops and that is worst than having a stiff ride. If you want a soft, compliant, long travelling ride keep the stock springs in and don't cut them. It's one of those coin tossing decisions(look cool vs ride).

monteboy84
04-26-2011, 05:00 AM
One thing you need to watch for with lowering the rear of these cars too much is the suspension geometry in regards to the rear arm arrangement. Go too low, and the axle side of your lower control arms will be higher than the front/chassis end, which is far from desirable in terms of antisquat.

-matt

Tony_SS
04-26-2011, 06:13 AM
Hotchkis rear springs set mine perfectly... and mine is light back there with an alum trunk lid.

GregInAtl
04-26-2011, 01:11 PM
I have a 275/30-20 rear tire and it is barely in the fender lip. I am gonna notch the frame for my brake issue and while the shocks and springs are removed see how much travel the arms actually allow. My front is so low the rear need to be at this height to match. I know its "too low" to be 100% practical, but I love the look.

monteboy84
04-26-2011, 06:48 PM
My front is so low the rear need to be at this height to match. I know its "too low" to be 100% practical, but I love the look.

The geometry can be fixed if that's the height you want to stick with.

-matt

Tony_SS
04-27-2011, 04:28 AM
Being that low looks great and all, but sort of flies in the face of the pt concept... having to change your driving style because your cars suspension can't handle hard driving on a typical road isnt my idea of fun.

John Wright
04-27-2011, 04:51 AM
If you haven't found out already, bottoming out the suspension while hard cornering can be dangerous....You can go from a neutral comfortable handle to pushing like a dumptruck or too loose to hang on in the blink of an eye...depending on which end of the car sits too hard against the stops because a dip or hump in the road.

mc84_zz4
04-27-2011, 06:18 AM
How much travel is left before the bump stops hit? Can you trim the bump stop?
if you want to run it low: swap out the 20's for 18's, replace the rear coils
or air bag it.

GregInAtl
04-27-2011, 06:13 PM
I had an air bag kit and just couldnt let myself do it.
Surprisingly, with my drop spindles and 1" drop spring it rides fine in the front....stiff on a 245/35-20, but no teeth jarring.
The rear sits a full 1.5" higher and you can jump on the bumper and only the sidewalls flex.
I dont care about having a corner carving GN.....I want a nice looking reliable street car.....I have had fast cars and many cornering king cars. Its just not my top priority (Thus drop spindles...not optimum for handling, but lower nice and are reliable). A stiff ride is fine, my full size truck is dropped over 6" now so I am used to stiff and dont mind it as long as there is usable stroke left.
I have seen too many hydro regals 3-4" lower to think I am at the bottom of travel......who knows.
I'll keep looking and working. If you have an idea LMK, otherwise I will post findings when I figure this out.

Norm Peterson
04-28-2011, 02:55 AM
Do you still have the OE rear control arms in place?

If so, did you loosen their bolts before dropping the rear, and retorque them after lowering with the car resting on all four wheels? All eight?

Norm

monteboy84
04-28-2011, 05:14 AM
Maybe this is a stupid question, but are your shocks bottomed out?

-matt