PDA

View Full Version : Cam position question

67rstbkt
04-23-2011, 12:30 PM
I have a solid cam for my Pontiac build (Tomahawk TC-02, made by Isky) and the position of the cam lobes in relation to the lifters seems off. The lobes themselves look thinner compared to a hydraulic. My timing chain is in, along with the retainer plate so this looks to be operating position. Any thoughts on this? Is it normal? Will I have issues?
I've attached a pic of the cam:

Pro Stock
04-23-2011, 03:43 PM
In the photo it looks to me like the lobes are ground out of position, if you could move the cam back to line up the front two lobes the third lobe would be too far back.

67rstbkt
04-23-2011, 05:03 PM
In the photo it looks to me like the lobes are ground out of position, if you could move the cam back to line up the front two lobes the third lobe would be too far back.

Thanks for the response; I got in touch with the dealer I bought the cam from and he said it's ground like that on purpose to promote lifter spin. I looked at all the lobes and the spacing is equal throughout.

DEIGuy38
04-23-2011, 09:37 PM
The lobes are also ground with a taper of about 0.04" (If I remember correctly, its been about 25 years since I ground camshafts) to promote lifter spinning. Only about half of the lifter will be in contact with the lobe anyway.