PDA

View Full Version : SPC adjustable upper controll arms completed install

smith & sons
04-23-2011, 07:28 AM
SPC makes a really nice peice for this application.The alignment shop likes it because they can set alignment right on the money.Be shure to call for install tips(they are very helpfull).I used one ball joint spacer & installed the upper ball joint by inserting it up from the bottom of the ball joint plate on the controll arm,instead of inserting it down from the top, like oem.Number of spacers wil vary based on spring rate,motor weight ect.Bounce it and look for contact with the frame & a neutral ball joint position.

ROBS6T8
04-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Nice! What did you install these on? Reason for the spacer? Clearance issues with the frame? Thanks. I have some myself so these answers would help me.

smith & sons
04-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Installed on 55 Belair.Yes,spacers are for frame clearance.Use none to 3,based on need.Use no more than you need,otherwise you start to get a upper ball joint in a bind-you want it in a neutral position.

mplecha
04-23-2011, 06:12 PM
I agree! I just put the spc upper and lower arms on my chevelle. Great product!

Windycity1
04-24-2011, 07:17 AM
I will be replacing a pair of the infamous eBay Hytec upper control arms with SPC. Wish I had installed SPC from the beginning. 69 Camaro almost ready for the Power Tour.

ROBS6T8
04-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the answer. I'll have to wait until I get the motor in to see about clearance issues. Just put them in and they're resting on the frame now. Made me wonder why no bump stops? But with the motor back in, I'll see if I need any of those spacers. One other thing... If you install the BJ below the plate, wouldn't that be like installing a longer BJ? I already have longer BJs. Thanks. I guess I could call Marcus or SPC.

monteboy84
04-25-2011, 05:23 AM
One other thing... If you install the BJ below the plate, wouldn't that be like installing a longer BJ? I already have longer BJs.

Nope, not in terms of your geometry. In order to change your geometry you have to change the location of the ball joint pivot in relation to the other pivot points, which you cannot change with your control arms.

-matt

smith & sons
04-25-2011, 08:57 AM
I applied a peice of rubber on the frame where the arm rests when the car is on the lift and the suspension is hanging down.The front arm is higher because of the oem anti dive geometry,so there i glued a bump stop.The longer BJ may do the same thing as a spacer,but call spc,they are very helpfull.

ROBS6T8
04-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys. That's a good idea about the rubber piece. Yeah, Monte I always forget the pivot and other POINTS!