PDA

View Full Version : What can expect from repainting only half of the car?

yody
06-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Well My car was painted about 4-5 years ago. The entire front clip is off right now and was blasted to metal. THe back half of hte car is DUpont, i believe base/clear. The front half will be PPG base/clear. THe paint was mixed off of a sample from the car. We sprayed the firewall and it looks real similar. The paint definetly has a decent amount of flake in it. I know its not a definite, but is the front end going to look totally different from the rear? the rear of the car could really use a paint job, but i just want to get the car running!!!!

MuscleRodz
06-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Paint a sample and put it in the same plane as the fender would sit and see how much different it is. If it is pretty close, you could blend the doors and it will make it harder to tell the difference.

Mike

68protouring454
06-15-2005, 06:35 PM
yes the front will look different almost for sure, especially going from one paint to another, i would if you do not want to repaint whole car,i would prep front clip as normal, finishing in 500-600 grit unless your going to seal, then finish in 320-400, then prep doors with 800, sand orange peel in clear flat, not burning thru anywhere, now apply 2-3 coats of base to just front clip, or enough until its full coverage not allowing any onto the doors, now, mix remaing basecoat left (enoughto blend into doors, maybe 1/2 pint) 1-1, meaning how ever much base is mixed mix in the same amountof thinner, now drop pressurer at gun by 5 psi and spray onto both doors coming in 6-10 inches with a light to medium coat, let flash off and do another coat going just a bit further into door, nice and even, let flash and then clear whole nose and complete outside of doors, now just wet sand alittle and buff quarters and you should be good to go, by thinning the base out when blending it makes it alittle translucent so it goes over current base, but does not change it completely, just enough so the eye never see's the change
go this route get the car on road
also if you blend properly and have had color, color eyed you will not see any change, do it everyday on all these new mettalic and pearls.
jake

yody
06-15-2005, 06:36 PM
One of the doors needs paint too, at one point it wasn't adjusted right and rubbed, I don't think wea re going to blend anything, i really don't want to mess with the car or bring it to a bodyshop, although that would be the best idea. The paint is already mixed and we arlready sprayed the firewall, it looks the same, but its hard to tell since there isn't a flat panel right next to the doors

68protouring454
06-15-2005, 06:39 PM
get your head out of your but and listen!!!
blend the ****ing door and get over it, it will more than likely look like **** if you do not, you may get lucky but i doubt it, for the amount of time it will take to blend into the doors, DO IT!
you do not have to body work them fully just prep with 800 and go, like you said you have come chipping on them so this will still be better than touching chips up with a brush
it may take you an extra 1 hr to tape and prep doors, man why won't you listen
lmfao

yody
06-15-2005, 07:07 PM
The front clip will be painted off of the car, also the drivers door is messed up so i will take that off and paint that off the car too, then assemble it all on the car. So the car isn't going anywhere near the shop or paint. So i would have to assemble it all, and then drive the car to the shop and tape everything off and then blend in the drivers quarter panel and the passenger door. The front sheetmetal is bare metal so it needs to be painted all over on a stand.

MrQuick
06-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Paint the whole frickin thing...your gonna pay now or pay later.....like Jake said...DO IT, DOIN IT!! Quit bitchin and DO IT! Oh and put some Judge stripes on it! Do it!

zbugger
06-15-2005, 07:34 PM
While you're at it, put a birdie on it.

yody
06-15-2005, 08:09 PM
i am really avoiding painting it, i don't want to half ass it. Just paint the front now. I am really ready to finish this thing.

ProdigyCustoms
06-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Problem is you will have to paint the entire thing later anyway, even the perfect front clip. Metalics are super sensitive to undercoats, air pressure, number of coats, humidity. It is almost impossible to get a nuts match later, even out of the same can. It will only take a few days to prep the ass end and shoot the entire thing. If the paint is in good shape, I would base the front and door in complete until covered, then hit the entire car with a couple piss coats and clear the dog out of it.
If the rear of the car is in good shape, you could do as little a scotchbrite for prep.

yody
06-15-2005, 08:26 PM
mmmmmmmmmm, we will see i guess, the problem is the rear has cracks by the top of the rear windows from stress, and little rust bubbles in the very bototm of the quarter behind the wheels, and who knows whats under the paint? Also I will need to clear the insides of the fenders and such, the part in the engine compartment, and i DEFINETLY Don't want any overspray under the car or in the engine compartement, IT is all highly detailed. My friend who is doing the work said the same thing about spraying metallic, if you don't spray it all at once its a crap shoot. Maybe we could just put one or 2 coats of clear, assemble it and then paint the ass end, and reclear the whole car?

ProdigyCustoms
06-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Yeah, a couple light coat to blend the color as Jake was saying. If it is going to ride that way for a while, I would at least blend the doors.

zbugger
06-15-2005, 10:21 PM
Don't worry bro. Vince and I will remind you CONSTANTLY of the difference in paint. Hell, maybe we'll even get Dennis in on it?