PDA

View Full Version : Speedtech Swaybar Help

anmobley
04-18-2011, 05:28 PM
I am down to my last piece on the new Speedtech Subframe. I am have a heck of a time getting the sway bar to mount. The frame is sitting on saw horses with no load. Do I need to put lower control arms under load??? or should the sway bar end mate up to the lowers with just a little more muscle. And by the way, the instructions to these things are not the best by any means...

Aaron

killer69
04-18-2011, 07:17 PM
You need to get the lower arms up to close to ride height, it makes it easire to install the endlinks.
best to install the heim joint in the arm and the bushings in the sway bar put the jam nut on the bolt ant snug it up enoughtt to give you some thread to work with, then line everything up and screw the bolt into the heim joint. once started move to the other side you kinda have to work both at the same time.

send me a pm if you need more help or give me a call in the morning.

Norm Peterson
04-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Rather than guessing where the ride height is going to end up, wait until you can put the completed and ready to drive car down on all four wheels and then install the bar. A solid ramp or a couple of two-by's under each front tire will give you a little more room to work without affecting the endlink settings as long as the heights are the same side to side.

Meanwhile, you could install just one endlink loosely just to keep the bar from flopping about or getting jammed up against anything.

Norm

anmobley
04-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Well I got the darn thing in. Took two people, three ratchet straps and a pry bar. There had to be a better way. That was the hardest thing on the subframe to install. Maybe someone can post a video or photo's on an easier way to install it for future owners.

Norm Peterson
04-24-2011, 04:24 AM
Just what were you having that much difficulty pulling/prying into place? Without pictures, I'm left hoping that you were trying to move the suspension into the static ride height position against the springs without using the car weight. Otherwise, what's binding or not fitting properly?

I really don't understand why the bar couldn't have been left for last.

Norm

1red68
04-24-2011, 04:37 AM
I think you did that the hard way. I've never had trouble like that, but I always waited and installed them with the weight on the suspension.

killer69
04-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Well I got the darn thing in. Took two people, three ratchet straps and a pry bar. There had to be a better way. That was the hardest thing on the subframe to install. Maybe someone can post a video or photo's on an easier way to install it for future owners.

I had sent you a PM (private Message) to have you call me. if you had called me i would have told you that there is possibly a problem with the sway bars. The manufacturer Hellwig, may have made a mistake on one of the bends. ( Hey It happens) and i would have sent you a drawing to check the bar you have to ensure it is, or isn't correct. it woud have saved you a whole bunch of ratchet straps.
We are always here to help, We don't mind it you call us to ask questions.
please pick up the phone 1-888-467-1625 so I can get some contact information and send you the drawing.
Installing the sway bar DOES NOT require ratchet straps and or pry bars!!

anmobley
04-24-2011, 08:10 PM
PM'd