PDA

View Full Version : 1964 GM A body frame

George Humphrey
04-16-2011, 12:42 PM
The frame on my 64 Buick Special 2 door Sedan is pretty much junk, I'd like to know if other A body frames will work, I know that 4 door, station wagon and El Camino frames won't work, I'm hearing things are different from Chevelle, Le Mans, Cutlass etc., I would think that GM wouldn't go through the expense of making the stuff vary from make to make, whats the real story?, does anyone have the dimensions for these?

65BuickGS
04-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Not sure which frames will fit,,,if no one else here knows,,,you can check out the v8buick site,,,the guys over there will likely know!!!

Randy67
04-16-2011, 03:19 PM
64-67 A-bodies used the same frames. Only the wagons and El Caminos are different, they have a longer rear section. 2-door frames will work as will convertible (it's a boxed frame like the El Camino is) and the 4-door frame should work too as far as I know.

George Humphrey
04-17-2011, 03:28 AM
Thanks guys, I'll do some more checking around, missed a 64 Chevelle convertable frame on Craigs list for $600 the other day, needles to say it wasn't there very long, Oh well.

Mike Holleman
04-17-2011, 05:33 AM
The frame on my 64 Buick Special 2 door Sedan is pretty much junk, I'd like to know if other A body frames will work, I know that 4 door, station wagon and El Camino frames won't work, I'm hearing things are different from Chevelle, Le Mans, Cutlass etc., I would think that GM wouldn't go through the expense of making the stuff vary from make to make, whats the real story?, does anyone have the dimensions for these?George, The El Camino chassis is only different in that the rear mounts are 3.25" further back than a Chevelle or Std A body in your case. PM Tommy Comfort on this site. He is in Indianapolis and I believe has a chassis for you. I have a solid Elky chassis and a good 65 Chevelle chassis but I'm a long way from Mn.
Mike