PDA

View Full Version : Shackle Bushings Too Long?

Formula51
04-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Quick question.

I am installing new multi-leaf springs and the new bushings I got appear like they may be too long.

The bag the bushings came in say "Hugger Performance Specialty Muscle car Products - Part #K00044 Rubber Bushing For Rear Spring".

Each bushing measures about 1/16" longer than the orginials before the mushroomed head, but I realize the old one's were probably compressed. When I put them in the spring or frame, they touch each other and there is still bushing surface sticking out past the frame or spring eye.

In this picture the nut is tightened up just enough to touch the shackle plate (no thread coming throug the end of the nut).

Will they compress down when I tighten them or do I need to trim them so that the mushroomed head is flush before tightening?

Thanks.

Henesian
04-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Had this same issue with Energy Suspension Polyurethanes. When I had put them in, there was air in one of them, and so it popped out. You just have to crank down and it'll compress.

MrQuick
04-17-2011, 11:17 AM
with some cars the longer bushing goes into the spring and the shorter ones go into the frame section. I like to shorten the bushings up so the metal inner sleeve is a bit longer than the bushings to prevent binding.

Formula51
04-17-2011, 03:55 PM
There is no metal inner sleeve in these bushings. I guess I will try cranking them down and hope they compress.

The original nuts are pretty rusty and tight to turn. I can't find anyone that sells just the nuts except Ricks and they are on backorder.

Does anyone know another company that sells just the nuts? Could I just use some regular nuts and lock washers instead?

Rod
04-17-2011, 04:02 PM
That's a d&r part and it's for 1970-1981 camaros, 2 nd gen camaros where wider than multi leaf 1st gens, mono leaf cars had a narrow outer lip but the same width as multi leaf cars, what year is you car.?

Skip Fix
04-17-2011, 05:32 PM
There are two different part #s for shackle bushings and little help in the parts books to tell which one is correct as they list both for a 79 Camaro. I went through the same thing awhile back when I used rubber for a drag car. The mushroom portion is different on the ones I had problems with. O reilley could only find one listed that was wrong NAPA could find two so we ordered both and compared to my old ones.

Formula51
04-18-2011, 04:04 AM
My car is a 1968. So if I understand you correctly, these are the wrong bushings for my car and they are too long? FYI, I did not buy these bushings, they were given to me with the car, which is why I don't know much about them.

Do you think I could cut them down to work or do I have to order new ones?

Rod
04-18-2011, 08:07 PM
just pull them out and trim the inside edge and they should be fine, I have had to do that on some urethane ones when i didn't have the short one

Formula51
04-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Well I ordered new bushings from Classic Industries to be sure I had the right parts (Part # K979 - Rear Shackle Bushings for 67-69' Camaro) and they are the same length as the one's I have.

When I put them in the spring eye, both bushing touching, and have one bushing head up against a side of the spring eye there is about 1/4" sticking out the other side before the bushing head. Crazy.

I guess I will just trim one side down so both bushing heads are touching the spring eye, but it seems weird that both companies have bushing that are too long. That needs to be fixed.