PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Decision Time

67rally
04-14-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm going to be doing new front and rear suspension in the next few weeks and I've been going back and forth between a few options. Right now everything is stock, worn and squeaking. This will be a hard driven street machine. I'd like the option to do an autocross in the future, but I'm not really sure it will ever see the track. I'm looking to lower the car, and really improve performance in the twists and turns. I don't know that I'll spend a lot of time adjusting the suspension if/once it's where I like it.

I really like the Speed Tech upper and lower control arms for their price and reputation. My options with this setup are 1) package them with the QA1 adjustable coilovers, 2) package them with the RideTech adjustable coilovers or 3) package them with the Hotchkis 2" lowering springs and matched Bilstein shocks.

For the rear, I was originally going to go with the Hotchkis 1 1/2" lowering leafs and the matched Bilsteins as well. I don't want to go 4 link and dump a couple of grand into the rear. What are my other options?

I have talked with a couple of the vendors, and have a good idea where I'll get my parts, but really looking for real world experience with any of these setups.

Other info: 1967 Camaro, 350 sbc, 4 speed. I already have a new 670 Delphi box and all new steering linkage, new 18" wheels and tires, new Hotchkis front sway bar, and new Hotchkis tie rod sleeves. And I will also be ordering a big brake kit, most likely the 12" Wilwood front and rear, or possibly 13" up front with the 12's in the rear.

(I'm posting this here and two other sites to see if there is a big difference of opions. Any and all opinions are welcome!)

Mkelcy
04-14-2011, 02:40 PM
This thread, while long, covers about every option out there for front and rear suspensions and includes estimates of the cost of each: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?74073-What-components-to-buy

67rally
04-15-2011, 03:56 AM
This thread, while long, covers about every option out there for front and rear suspensions and includes estimates of the cost of each: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?74073-What-components-to-buy

Thanks Mike, I've already seen that thread, but I'll go back and read it again. I don't recall any mention of the QA1's or the RideTech Coilovers in there.

I forgot to mention that I also have the Hotchkis Subframe connectors as well (not installed yet).

ProdigyCustoms
04-15-2011, 04:15 AM
The ridetech coil overs are trick but really need to us Ridetech lower arm because of the lowered shock mounting position. If Ride height adjustablility is not a primary concern I would lean towards the Hotchkis springs with thier shocks to match the rear leafs your looking at.

If you were 4 linking the rear with adjustable shocks, I would be loking at one of the coil over conversions.

Chad-1stGen
04-15-2011, 06:55 AM
I agree with frank based on your intended use of the car. Also make sure you do the g-mod or tall ball joint. The set up will give you a very nice feeling ride on the St and still be fully capable of the occasional autocross and track day.

killer69
04-15-2011, 06:56 AM
The ridetech coil overs are trick but really need to us Ridetech lower arm because of the lowered shock mounting position. If Ride height adjustablility is not a primary concern I would lean towards the Hotchkis springs with thier shocks to match the rear leafs your looking at.

If you were 4 linking the rear with adjustable shocks, I would be loking at one of the coil over conversions.

Just to let you in on a secret Frank we are working with Ridetech to have full kits that will work exclusively on our arms as well. i have all the parts here now as well as a camaro and a chevelle to test fit on

67rally
04-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Just to let you in on a secret Frank we are working with Ridetech to have full kits that will work exclusively on our arms as well. i have all the parts here now as well as a camaro and a chevelle to test fit on

Yeah, I guess it wasn't really fair to ask opinions of the Ridetech coilover conversion with your control arms if no one knows about them yet!