PDA

View Full Version : 65 GTO front springs to stiff

crustysack
04-14-2011, 03:01 AM
I am in the final stages of my build and after the first ride around the block the front springs seem way to stiff (read harsh) I have done an LS1 swap and am running global west tubular control arms with QA1 coil overs with 2" drop spindles. Is there any way to determine how the coil over spring is rated ( markings, serial numbers??) I inherited this project about 5 years ago and the suspension was already purchased. Can any one make an educated suggestion for a spring that would be firm but not teeth rattling. This car will be a daily driver, not taken to the track or autocrossed. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

MrQuick
04-14-2011, 08:28 AM
Are there any markings or numbers on the springs that you can list. If they are QA1's there should be a number printed on the out side of the spring. Should see 350 or 450 somewhere.

but just curious....
How far is your control arm from the frame? Are the bump rubbers touching? If not how far are they?

Where are your QA1's adjusted to? Try setting them to the softest setting.

Do you have access to weight scales?

vince

crustysack
04-14-2011, 03:50 PM
the QA1s were adjusted to the softest setting and I thought that maybe the shock was not doing anything and all the dampening was translated right to the spring. I will check the springs for some markings and control arm to frame distance. I do have access to a Hunter Hawkeye alignment rack that can weigh the vehicle but what should I do with that information?What does the 350 or 450 mean on the spring ?? is that the spring rate or just a model number. I would assume the front end of the car is a little lighter with the aluminum block but I have not weighed it. I admit I am a beginner when it comes to suspension and tuning. But I'm a quick study and like to hear the scientific side of the reasoning.What should be a comfortable spring rate for a car that weighs approx 3400 lbs with a 40 60 weight distribution?? Does that question even make sense?
Thanks for any help I will try and get over to my ride and check those things and hopefully get some more info for a more educated evaluation