PDA

View Full Version : Lee power steering pump leak

toofun
04-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Ive got what I think is a Lee powersteering pump but problem is it is leaking..works fine but leaking.. I finally narrowed down where it is leaking and it seems to be on the inlet side coming from the powersteering box.. I ve attached a picture. Everything is tight so my question is can I put teflon on these threads to make it so that it is more secure from leaks? How about some type of pipe thread dressing specific for this application? It looks and performs great but the puddle of steering fluid on the floor is really starting to get to me. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
Mark
TOOFUN

kryptik
04-13-2011, 08:30 PM
I have an earlier Saginaw Type I pump recently rebuilt by Lee. It leaks from the outlet fitting of the pump. It is tight but continues to drip.

Not sure what to do, I'll try giving Lee Manufacturing a call tomorrow.

Cheers,
Matt

GaRys69
07-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Did you find out if teflon tape or sealer is ok to be used?

Thanks, Gary

Twentyover
07-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Are you talking about the threaded fitting going into the pump casting? Is this an appropriate location for a copper crush washer?

Rod
07-30-2011, 09:25 PM
basic leaks come from using the incorrect part, pumps are usually 45-degree SAE Flare fitting, I see many pumps brought to the shop with AN fittings and there 37 degree AN, make sure you have not mixed fittings

Note that 37° AN and 45° SAE fittings and tooling are not interchangeable due to the different flaring angles. Mixing them can cause leakage at the flare