PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Dye???

OLDFLM
06-15-2005, 09:01 AM
My black interior plastic (kick panels, rear seat panels, rear sail panels) could use some refreshening while the weather is warm...

Which black vinyl dye should I use?

Satin or Gloss black???

V/R,
Ty

69Rathead
06-15-2005, 02:25 PM
If the black in your car is the same as the black in the '69 Camaros it is somewhat a Semi-gloss. Full gloss black does not look good and a flat is no good either. What I have found is that SEM brand Colorcoat in LANDAU black SEM #15013 is perfect. It was recommended to me by an interior guy. Just clean the interior area to be painted first with 409 and a lint free cloth (or use an SEM prep cleaner) then spray with SEM Sand Free #3836 so it will stick better. This stuff really works well if good prep is done first. Most all Upholstery shop supply places carry it, just call an Upholstery shop in your area to find out where to get it. Also the web site is" http://www.sem.ws/catalog.php look under Color coat Aerosols and Prep materials. Also go to Where to buy. Good luck! P.S. I have changed my Interior from Red to black using this and only have had to touch up spray a few high wear areas once in awhile...really works great.

OLDFLM
06-16-2005, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the info! That's what I'll use!
My interior is already black but now that I have my seats redone
and new door panels the plastic panels need refreshing... so I'll
be using the SEM black over black panels...
Thanks again!
V/R,
Ty

OLDFLM
06-16-2005, 08:27 AM
Rathead, thanks again!!
Found a local shop that has it for $10 per can!
Said I won't need the prep since I'm spraying
black panels...
Appreciate the advice!
V/R,
Ty

69Rathead
06-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Cool... doing Black over black it should work great. The stuff works good without sand free as well so going over black should work great, just prep it real good with 409 and follow up with IPA and lint free cloth to dry it good. Good luck buddy.

Roger Poirier
06-16-2005, 05:15 PM
You can also use these products over vinyl and rubber as well. FYI, it also can be used on carpeting to freshen or tint the color to your needs. R.P.

yody
06-18-2005, 09:22 PM
i just used krylon semi-gloss spray paint, make sure to degrease it to get all the old armor-all off!@

69Rathead
06-19-2005, 12:25 AM
Krylon is not really made for Vinyl or plastics unless you use the new Fusion line which is made for that (that is why Krylon came out with the line) and then the semi-gloss black may be close but still does not match the typical black interior...at least the '69 Camaro black anyway (even though it is a semi gloss itself). I'm glad it seemed to work for you at least on the panels but It will come off too easily with flexing of seats etc. as it is not made for it. When I did my interior I asked about using Krylon and the interior guy I talked to looked at me like I was a J.A. for even thinking it would work. I went with SEM as he suggested and used it on flexible areas as well as panels and it matches perfectly as well as is very, very, durable. Classic industries used to carry SEM also but now carrys OER vinyl semi-gloss paint especially made to match interiors in all Years. You'll find it in the Car care section. I'd bet it's made for them by SEM as that is what they used to carry for interior matching and SEM has been around for at least 25 years and is a staple of the interior upholstery industry. Painting things is always tricky...that is why people get paid the bucks for it. Sometimes with good prep in a certain climate, condition, wear etc. a certain paint not really intended for the particular application will work/turn out o.k. But sooner or later if you use paints not applicable to the particular job you will get stung and have a mess to deal with and end up doing it all over or paying someone else good money to do. But thanks for the input anyhow...I'm glad it worked for you.

yody
06-19-2005, 08:55 AM
on the car in question, all of the panels are hard plastic, not vinyl, the only vinyl in these interiors are the seats and the door panels. He is talking about really hard black plastic. which doent' flex,

MrQuick
06-19-2005, 10:22 AM
They will flex abit while installing. Krylon has no flex agent in it so it will crack eventually.

yody
06-19-2005, 10:25 AM
mine haven't cracked? maybe you smokin too much crack

69Rathead
06-19-2005, 11:20 PM
It also about flex and ADHESION...that is why krylon created the FUSION line. We think its great it worked for you. Your inputs have been duly noted. That crack comment is the reason why the Moderators are always steppin in and correcting your attitude. Cheers! :cheers:

MrQuick
06-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Thats cool, he's just bustin my bolls, as long as its towards me its no biggy,we're always razin each other. I'll be sure to point out the cracks later down the road with his tires rubbing in the turns.
Side note he's a recovering crack whore. LOL

yody
06-20-2005, 10:40 AM
sorry, no moderator has ever "corrected" my attitude. stop taking your vinyl paint so seriously, maybe its the fumes?? :)

69Rathead
06-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Haha...figures! The first time I try to provoke someone on the forums it backfires! :banghead: I'm simply going to have to sniff even more fumes and try harder! You took the fun right out of it! :lmao: Speaking of paint fumes I've been preping my car for primer the last day and a half..what a friggin job! Luckily only 2 very small areas needing Bondo. One very thin ding spot 1/8" deep at passenger rear below the tailight about .50 cent size and a small 1/4 deep dime size rust hole I cleaned to bare metal and filled. IMHO Bondo has the best Fumes ever! I'll put on a mask next time though...whew!
You guys take it easy!

yody
06-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Ha! i got experience at this, remember!

ROAD WARRIOR
06-22-2005, 08:37 PM
I second {or is it third?} the use of SEM products. I've had top notch results using their interior paints over the years, and cannot recall a time I was ever disappointed. Hell, I even have a crack pipe I painted with SEM paint, and I did a SMOKIN' job! :)

69Rathead
06-23-2005, 12:23 AM
Haha! Warrior...with posts like that one you should be posting more often! :lmao: Pretty damn funny according to your post record it is your first...what took you so long? Well welcome to the boards.

ROAD WARRIOR
06-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Haha! Warrior...with posts like that one you should be posting more often! :lmao: Pretty damn funny according to your post record it is your first...what took you so long? Well welcome to the boards.

Thanks Rat. Actually, I was a member of the "old" board, and it just took me a 'lil while to re register here. Plus I'm more of a "reader" in this world, as I realize I don't know Jack Chit, nor do I play him on TV. I can't explain bumpsteer w/o using a cheat sheet, but hey, I'm trying. And I also learned a long time ago that a closed mouth gathers no fist or foot, so before I open my cyber piehole I make sure I know what is gonna be comming out my mouth...:)