PDA

View Full Version : Are there any demands for 2nd generation camaro speaker kickpanels?

1976CamaroGuy
04-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Just curious what the market is for adding speakers in the front of these cars? I made a set of fiberglass audio kicks for myself and I'm sure others have a need for it too.

Just didn't know if there is a demand, I know they aren't being produced anywhere now. But I would be interested in selling them if I can make a profit on them.

1976CamaroGuy
04-05-2011, 10:48 AM
here's my personal kick wrapped in vinyl with speakers installed.

dropit69
04-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Those are nice how much room do you lose in the footwell area over stock kicks?..

1976CamaroGuy
04-05-2011, 01:03 PM
virtually none, because the magnet occupies the area behind the kick. Here's a pic of the parking brake against it. it's close..but the parking brake can be shimmed or bent out a little.

To seal off the area behind the speaker I used a metra 6 x 9 baffle kit...fit like a glove.

MoonMan
04-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Depending on price I might be interested.

1976CamaroGuy
04-05-2011, 01:37 PM
I was going to sell them for $165 + shipping...comes with the pinch weld to put in the door jamb opening.

1976CamaroGuy
04-06-2011, 04:48 AM
pics may be hard to see, but I am working on a fiberglass package tray for my car too. I installed a rockford 10" sub between the rer deck...sub will fire through package tray with a grille.

It will also have a spot for two flush mount 6.5" rear fill speakers.

newmexicosaint
04-10-2011, 09:54 AM
I would love to have some kick panels like those but the $165 price would take me out of the market. Seems high but keep in mind that I have little knowledge of what goes into building them. $165 would seem more in line if the units were finished out (vinyl and cut outs).

Again, I don't have much insight as to what it would take to produce something like that and my post is strictly meant as feedback to your initial post. Interested? Yes Affordable? Not for me.

For the record, the stuff is sweet looking and the package tray is sweet too!

1976CamaroGuy
04-10-2011, 11:37 AM
it's cool, I understand. If you look at the price of comparable kicks it's about in line for fiberglass parts and parts of this nature. In the grand scheme of things of what we spend on our cars that's not much money. Especially when guys are dumping 7k + into paintjobs and 5k + on engines.

I don't think I can do these for any less, with my time and cost of materials (paypal fees, boxes, tools, resin, matte, gel coat, ect) this is the price it would take for me to make a set of these and be confortable doing it. Which is far cheaper than trying to build a mold yourself and less labor intensive for sure. I would never sell a set of covered kicks for $165...if a person went to a local audio shop and said "make me some custom kick panels and cover them in vinyl" expect that price to double.

I guess it depends on how bad a person needs them and if they are willing to spend that much. It's all good.

Thanks for the props I appricate it

1976CamaroGuy
04-12-2011, 05:08 AM
Lowered price

$155 plus shipping

fletcherscustoms
04-12-2011, 07:37 AM
I'll take a set. email me at [email protected]

1976CamaroGuy
04-12-2011, 07:56 AM
I'll take a set. email me at [email protected]

email sent

sweatnblood
05-03-2011, 09:38 PM
I like the package try...looking at getting a nice 10" fosgate as well and trying to figure out how to build the box

syborg tt
06-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Hi Dennis - found the pics

Just tell me where you want the money sent.

1976CamaroGuy
06-29-2011, 05:01 AM
Lowered price going to sell $155 per set uncovered

protour73
07-09-2011, 04:39 AM
I was going to sell them for $165 + shipping...comes with the pinch weld to put in the door jamb opening.

I need some shots of these installed in car from the door jam view. How much thicker than stock over the pinch weld are these? Also, where are the screw holes? How do they mount to the chassis?

1976CamaroGuy
07-09-2011, 04:55 AM
I need some shots of these installed in car from the door jam view. How much thicker than stock over the pinch weld are these? Also, where are the screw holes? How do they mount to the chassis?

I don't have a shot of the set mounted yet, my car is in metal work stage = no interior or doors. I did mock the pinch weld up on the jamb when I had the doors on and it cleared fine. The pinch weld is about 3/8" thick and slips over the lip of the metal in the jamb.

Screw holes are left out for the end user to decide how they want to attach these to the chassis. You can lay the stock kick on top of the fiberglass kick and mark the factory holes out with a sharpie and drill out with a 1/8" drill bit and use the factory way of attachment

Or you can allow the screws that attach the speakers in place to hold the kicks in for a smoother look, it most cases this will suffice providing that you have metal behind the kick to bite...this may require adding a small metal plate behind the kick with a hole big enough for the speaker but covers the oblong hole. People that opt to paint the kicks to match the exterior may go this route.

I wish I could help more, but as soon as I get the metal work done and my interior back in I will be glad to snap some better installed pics. I'm hoping someone that has purchased a set will post pics soon.

Thanks

It all depends on your imagination, some creativity may be needed depending on what you want the end result to look like.

1976CamaroGuy
07-10-2011, 06:35 AM
If anyone that has a set of these finished, wrapped and installed in their car already and using them send me some shots of both sides and I'll refund $25 back to you via paypal :-)

I'll do this with the first couple of people that responds, just let me know and I'll let you know if I still need them.

brans72
07-10-2011, 02:24 PM
rear deck setup is looking good anymore pictures on that? Brandon

1976CamaroGuy
07-10-2011, 05:56 PM
rear deck setup is looking good anymore pictures on that? Brandon

I don't know if you seen this yet, I got it covered (still a few wrinkles at the back to work out) but it turned out pretty good

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/reardeck-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/reardeck2-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/DSCF4270-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/DSCF4355-1.jpg

brans72
07-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Dang love to make something like that for my Chevelle would be perfect and is super clean!!!!!So wanna give a guy some tips even if wanna send a pm? Brandon

1976CamaroGuy
07-10-2011, 06:38 PM
It's not bad, just have to make a plug out of mdf wood and bondo...get your shape right then pull a mold off that with fiberglass and resin...then reverse the process to get the final product. The hard part is making the plug. Google fiberglass mold or something like that...tons of info out there.

Tomcuschieri
09-14-2013, 08:10 PM
I know this post is kind of old but I figure it might be worth a try.
i have a 71 camaro and I'm looking for front speaker kick panels like the ones you made.my car does have the vent actuator on the left side. Will they still work. If you still make them please send me an email at [email protected].

Thanks, Tom

Just curious what the market is for adding speakers in the front of these cars? I made a set of fiberglass audio kicks for myself and I'm sure others have a need for it too.

Just didn't know if there is a demand, I know they aren't being produced anywhere now. But I would be interested in selling them if I can make a profit on them.

1976CamaroGuy
09-15-2013, 02:57 AM
I know this post is kind of old but I figure it might be worth a try.
i have a 71 camaro and I'm looking for front speaker kick panels like the ones you made.my car does have the vent actuator on the left side. Will they still work. If you still make them please send me an email at [email protected].

Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom,

I still make them, you'll lose the vent actuators. But you might could fab something to still keep them but most remove them all together

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/78684-2nd-Generation-Camaro-Speaker-Kick-Panels-FS-(AR)/page6

Dennis