PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the first RTTS

Bill Howell
04-04-2011, 06:49 AM
Guys,
Thanks to everyone that came out. I know there were some that couldn't attend due to weather and I truely hate that for you. As it turned out, the weather, other than being windy and cold was fine, but from what I can gather 40 miles north was a different story so we certainly dodged a bullet.
A special thanks to Carbon Kustoms for being our event sponsor, without Albert the show would have been hard for me to pull off. Mike Manning and American Autowire for all you did getting the leg work done before the event, and for sponsoring the dinner. That was probably the best dinner and venue we have ever had at any event, certainly top notch food, service and setting. Bruce, thanks for your contribution about your track experience and sharing the video and slides with us.
Thanks to Sean for a great logo, I had so many people commenting on it all weekend, you did good my friend. Great to see you beating on the chevelle too. Great weekend for sure.
Thanks to my long time sponsor, Richard Winchester and BF Goodrich for always being there supporting and for sending us Matt so we could pick on him on his "birthday" and he could help with tire questions and issues. He also helped out on scoring which turned out to be a huge help on the big track.
NJMP staff, Joe especially, thanks for all you did to make this event a success. Chris and crew at the autocross, we really appreciate how smooth you made that portion of the event and look forward to next year.
For those that stayed over on Sunday, I am sure you guys will comment on how good the Karting track guys were to work with. Thanks guys for shifting the venue there as we did not have as many show up as we had originally planned on.

And, especially to the participants, thanks for coming and supporting. I can assure you it is alot of pressure to sign your name to a contract to do an event then hope enough people sign up and pay so you don't have to come out of your pocket with a bunch of money to cover the cost. This first year was a break even deal and I am great with that. I just hate it for those that could not come after they had registered due to car issues or weather issues.

We absolutely will do this again next year, maybe just move it to a later date so it will be a bit warmer. I would like to think we can get enough interest to do TWO days on the track. It is such a great venue and I loved the track. I think it is a great venue for the protouring crowd.

I had plenty of time to go over the event in my head on the 11 hour ride home yesterday and I have made this comment to several that have asked. I saw about 35 new and different cars at this event that have not been to any other event so in my mind that proved we picked the right area to host another winning event. It was refreshing to see so many new cars and meet so many of my fellow board members. Now that you guys have had a taste of the RTT? events, I hope you will spread the word and know that next year will only get better.

Finally, congratulations to Vinnie! He certainly deserved the King of the Shore trophy and OUSCI invite as he won both the road course and autocross events. Vinnie came really close to winning a couple years back at RTTHs so it was good to see him win at the first RTTS. I look forward to seeing him at other events this year and then to see that beautiful Camaro at SEMA and OUSCI in November. He is certainly a fine example of what these events are all about and will represent the hobby well at OUSCI.

SicMonte
04-04-2011, 07:10 AM
This event was an absolute blast!! I have never had that much fun at an automotive event in my life. I am very impressed at how smoothly it was run. Everything seemed to flow and work out perfectlly. Great job to everyone who was involved. I talked to/met alot of people and everyone was as nice as can be and very supportive. I had complete strangers help me with my car numerous times!!! You all have changed me forever! I plan to be an autocross junkie this summer and hopefully kill it at the next RTTH. I just can't thank you enough for putting on this event and giving all of us a taste of the RTT? events.

hotrdblder
04-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Bill, Thanks for putting on yet another awesome event.
It was refreshing to be back at one of your events since not being able to attend last year with racing and the new child.
Thanks again!!
jake

The Stickman
04-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Bill we really can't thank you, your hard working wife, Albert, Mike, Matt, and all the rest that I know I am forgetting enough for this wonderful event. This event really did great things for me. And it was great from start to finish even with the blown engine. I would love to do RTTH or some other event but at this point all that is unknown. BUT do RTTS again and I will be there. Gonna need to make the engine last more than 2 sessions if you are going to do 2 days though. But We will be there. Thanx again so much.

sr73bu
04-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Bill, Albert, Mike and everyone else involved thanks again so much! Im glad the logo was well recieved, In a very, very, very small way it was cool to give something to the event...

I'm already pumped for next year... and I do plan on beating my chevelle all over again! Still shocked the motor we put together 12 years ago in high school held together...lol

I was great to meet everyone!

Also, Congrats Vinnie!!!, your car was absolutely awesome! Do us eastcoast boys proud in November!!

-Sean

Yelcamino
04-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Bill, Albert, Mike and all the folks whose names get lost in the madness of putting an event like this together - Thank You! I had a blast! I really enjoyed the road course and the autox! Everything seemed to flow very smoothly with almost unlimited runs!

And Sean - awesome logo, I didn't realize you were the artist or I would have said something while I was talking to you!

Payton King
04-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Bill,

Glad you had another great event. I have been speaking to "crash test dummy" Ron and he said it was a fast track and the weather was cold. Would have loved to be there but my car is still under construction. Hope to see you and the gang soon at another event.

Ron S
04-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Who are you calling dummy?

As always Bill great event, weather wise, you seemed to have pull this one out your hat. Thanks for being the guy with enough passion, willing to take a risk on these events, I know it has to be real pain at times. I'll be back next year for sure, I hope to make most of this years events if I can find some parts.

I know I've said it before, but the RTT events are like no other. Where else in the world will you see that many beautiful, high end muscle cars in one place, getting the ***** kicked out of them (no where). Bad weekend for me, but it was still alot of fun (maybe I am a dummy)

Congrats on the win Vinn, you da man. Ron

Vinz68
04-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Bill and Melinda,
As always you put on one hell of an event!!!! I will never forget this weekend. Looking forward to your next event in Nashville. Thank you Albert and Michael for your support to make it happen. It was great to meet so many new people who attended RTTS. Sean great job on the logo and a pleasure to meet you. Woohoo I'm goin to VEGAS!!!!!!!!

cpstang24
04-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Great Event, you never see cars like these (or at least i don't) getting beat on as much as they were, they all sounded awesome and ran great...i attended with my buddy and his 69 vette, but will be bringing my cobra to race next year for sure. Thanks for putting on a cool event, great track as well

gmachinedart1
04-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Finally ,after having to back out of two of your events ,I finally made one.Thankyou Bill and to all that made it happen up here in the northeast.Im already looking foward to next years event.What a great bunch of people and no ego's any where in sight.The amount of seat time we had was almost tiring.The lightning course was fast,what a blast.Congrats to Vinnie on his victory,awesome car and driving.

sr73bu
04-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Justin... you sir can drive!

it was awesome to watch you with such a different/cool car out there and really keep pace with the big dogs!

-Sean

tazzz25906112
04-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Thank you all ,,,, I agree about Justin you sure drove the wheels off that car of yours.....

Vinnie, man you earned that invite buddy,,,, you just tore it up non-stop congratulations Pal.

81blacktiez28
04-05-2011, 11:12 AM
thank you bill for putting on a great event. it was my first but definetly not my last, cant wait for rtth. congrats to vinnie. bill, i think vito got bit by the bug. he should be joining shortly.

BonzoHansen
04-05-2011, 11:34 AM
thank you bill for putting on a great event. it was my first but definetly not my last, cant wait for rtth. congrats to vinnie. bill, i think vito got bit by the bug. he should be joining shortly.

I think we sat with you guys at dinner. You have one sweet camaro, even of you were not allowed to drive it too soon lol.

JEFFTATE
04-05-2011, 12:28 PM
It sounds like you guys had a great time ..
I'm gonna try to make more events next year .

Congrats to Vinnie for the wins at the event ..

And Jake ! I didn't realize you had a new baby , I thought those pics were of a nephew or something ..
I'm lost in space . My brain is dead ..

I'll see you guys at Nashville !!

AAW
04-05-2011, 01:37 PM
The American Autowire crew had a great time at the RTTS! We'll be posting some photos and video footage from the event on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/AmericanAutowire) on Friday afternoon, so be sure to check it out! It was great to meet many of you at the dinner and at the track...we hope to catch up with you again soon!

Morgan
04-05-2011, 04:41 PM
I know it has been said a lot in this thread already but great event. I'm lucky in that I get to sneak in a lot of track days with my chosen profession but this was the first time I've been able to blend my passion (muscle cars) with a track day and it went as I was hoping it would. Fantastic cars, great people and plenty of track time. Bill thanks for hosting and Al thanks for shelling out sponsorhsip $$. Great to meet both of you as well as all the others I was able to talk to. Being able to put faces with all the guys on this forum was great. Hope to see you all soon at another event, keep driving the wheels off these things.

Bill Howell
04-05-2011, 05:25 PM

LOL, that is great. I saw the smile on Vito's face every time he came off the big track, we were in the same run group. He was doing a pretty good job with that heavy new challenger too, just needed some help on the apexes. The bug is easy to catch, hard to kill....lol

Bill Howell
04-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Guys, I have all the time sheets and will post them in a couple days. I had to make a trip across the state today (400miles) to attend a mandatory class tomorrow for my day job, so I will be a bit slow on the posting. I will try to email it to larry and see if he can post them.

Yelcamino
04-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Guys, I have all the time sheets and will post them in a couple days. I had to make a trip across the state today (400miles) to attend a mandatory class tomorrow for my day job, so I will be a bit slow on the posting. I will try to email it to larry and see if he can post them.

I have time if you want to send it to me.

Cuzidid
04-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Morgan,

It was great to work the autocross with you. Hope to see you in your 68 in Nashville.

Brad Granger

Bill Howell
04-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Herb, pm my your email. The verizon one did not work

gmachinedart1
04-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Justin... you sir can drive!

it was awesome to watch you with such a different/cool car out there and really keep pace with the big dogs!

-SeanThanx guys for the comments.I had alot of fun out there,especially when I got hooked up with Ron in his mustang.I really liked that track and think it is taylor made for our cars,fast and not too tight.I enjoy pushing the car to its limits,thats what I built it for.I would really like to go back to that track and get an instructor in it to really show me the lines.A good instructor can help knock off a bunch on lap times.

ProBell
04-06-2011, 02:40 AM
PDA / NASA is putting on a HPDS on 8-6,7 that me and Chris will be at if you are interested. Hope to see at one track or another. Lime Rock has dropped the noise levels at a lot of events. FYI. You were fast I look forward to seeing the times. Randy

Vinz68
04-06-2011, 02:58 AM
Thanx guys for the comments.I had alot of fun out there,especially when I got hooked up with Ron in his mustang.I really liked that track and think it is taylor made for our cars,fast and not too tight.I enjoy pushing the car to its limits,thats what I built it for.I would really like to go back to that track and get an instructor in it to really show me the lines.A good instructor can help knock off a bunch on lap times.
Great to see you!! I'll be back at Lightning the 15th-16th this month with NASA they have instructors for HDPE 1 and 2. BTW you were killin it out there!!!

Yelcamino
04-06-2011, 04:56 AM
Herb, pm my your email. The verizon one did not work

Bill, I just saw this, but I got your emails. I'm working on it right now. Any chance of providing a list of folks' names and what type of car they were driving? I know a few but not all.

Takid455
04-06-2011, 05:21 AM
WOW!!!! What a time. Great food, cars, people, memories...

Been wanting to do road racing for many years just never took the initiative along with other things. While not the fastest, I had a blast. Car did surprisingly well and made it back home w/o issues. Would like to thank all those that lended me tools, provided pointers and allowed me to use their trailer to store stuff. Nice to see otherwise carpet cruisers getting the $h!t kicked out of them.

For those reading this that did not attend or were on the fence, you do not need a fancy car or even fancy parts on a basic car. Granted the E30 BMW's are decent from the factory, it was stock w/ 150k on the clock. H rated tires and all. If you are afraid that you will crash, start with a beater that will teach you to drive then step up to more power and improved parts. Probell mentioned that the car will tell you when you have exceeded the mechanical limitation of the installed parts. Until they fail, keep them and upgrade when needed. I did manage to get the tires rather warm and form ripples on the edges. I will say street tire's limits are better than I expected.

Hope to have the Trans am done this year and bring that next year. Hopefully attend a few instructor based driving classes in the meantime w/ the Bimmer. This is one thing that I wish was available at RTTS. They were very helpfull on the autoX, could only imaging what one could gain on the track.

Thank you to all that were involved to make this happen and fulfilling a dream and adding a new hobby too my list.

nicks67camaro
04-06-2011, 04:08 PM
WOW looked like a great event! I need make next years.

Morgan
04-10-2011, 03:39 AM
Morgan,

It was great to work the autocross with you. Hope to see you in your 68 in Nashville.

Brad Granger

Same here Brad. I really hoping to get to another RTT event this year but my schedule is quickly filling so I'll have to play it by ear. I will be on Power Tour this year and would love to catch up if you are doing that.

gtncpa
04-21-2011, 05:08 PM
One of my favorite track days of all time :2nd: Thx every one that put it on .. from Bill to Joe at NJMP!!!