PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone using Militec 1?

supernatural
04-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Is anyone using Militec 1?

I have been using Militec 1, as an oil additive, for more than 10 years in my cars, and in several customers cars (I had a garage specialized in turbo engines).

I’m pretty sure that it can reduce the valvetrain noise, and based in some comparisons, between engines with similar upgrades and same mileage, it seems to me that Militec 1 is capable to reduce the wear in internals and turbocharger.

I have to say that some of these engines are using more than 35 PSI of boost, and were driven like a stolen car.:drive1:

I'm not out to sell anything, or do propaganda of Militec 1.

Alex

Yoda4561
04-01-2011, 03:57 PM
In engines, not so much. Been playing with it since ~2000 or so as a gun and folding knife lubricant and occasionally for small gas powered generators and lawnmower engines. I'm not its biggest fan for a variety of reasons, though I will confirm that it is an excellent lubricant additive. It's an old and well understood additive that, under extreme heat and pressure when metal to metal contact happens forms a barrier film (similar to what zddp does but more slippery). I've fallen out of favor with using additives in engine oil in order not to screw with the anti-foaming, anti-corrosion and other carefully engineered additive packs in oil.

I'll make the suggestion that anyone reading their website not believe everything they read. I haven't been there in a while but they used to advertise that it was an excellent metal protector and rust preventative. This is complete BS, the chemical when in contact with water or humidity forms hydrochloric acid or some kind of similar acid (yes I've confirmed this myself through testing) and actually makes steel rust faster than unprotected metal. Used at 100% concentration as a lubricant it can cause spalling and other wierd things to happen to the surface. Mix it 5:1 to 10:1 favorite oil:militec to get the most benefit out of it as a general purpose shop lube.

edit: Almost forgot some stuff. It's main benefit is as a metal to metal lubricant. It has practically no merit as a metal:plastic or plastic:plastic or rubber lubrication. I've found that it can cause embrittlement and eventual fracture when in contact with some kinds of plastic. Nylon isn't bothered by it, but number of other things I've put it on including a few cheap folding knives and my favorite stapler's hinge have suffered unfortunate deaths after being in contact with pure militec for a while.

supernatural
04-02-2011, 05:26 AM
In engines, not so much. Been playing with it since ~2000 or so as a gun and folding knife lubricant and occasionally for small gas powered generators and lawnmower engines. I'm not its biggest fan for a variety of reasons, though I will confirm that it is an excellent lubricant additive. It's an old and well understood additive that, under extreme heat and pressure when metal to metal contact happens forms a barrier film (similar to what zddp does but more slippery). I've fallen out of favor with using additives in engine oil in order not to screw with the anti-foaming, anti-corrosion and other carefully engineered additive packs in oil.

I'll make the suggestion that anyone reading their website not believe everything they read. I haven't been there in a while but they used to advertise that it was an excellent metal protector and rust preventative. This is complete BS, the chemical when in contact with water or humidity forms hydrochloric acid or some kind of similar acid (yes I've confirmed this myself through testing) and actually makes steel rust faster than unprotected metal. Used at 100% concentration as a lubricant it can cause spalling and other wierd things to happen to the surface. Mix it 5:1 to 10:1 favorite oil:militec to get the most benefit out of it as a general purpose shop lube.

edit: Almost forgot some stuff. It's main benefit is as a metal to metal lubricant. It has practically no merit as a metal:plastic or plastic:plastic or rubber lubrication. I've found that it can cause embrittlement and eventual fracture when in contact with some kinds of plastic. Nylon isn't bothered by it, but number of other things I've put it on including a few cheap folding knives and my favorite stapler's hinge have suffered unfortunate deaths after being in contact with pure militec for a while.

Hi Dan,

thanks for sharing! :cheers:

Alex