PDA

View Full Version : Bummed out in MN

johnnyksspeedshop
03-30-2011, 01:42 PM
http://www.twincities.com/ci_17695867?IADID=Search-www.twincities.com-www.twincities.com&nclick_check=1

Porky's drive in food joint will most likely close this year. For those of you not from MN, Porky's is where all the gearheads meet on Friday and Saturday night to enjoy each others company and see some awesome machines. Im not very old (24), but have been going there since I was a kid, and there are a ton of "lifers" that go there. Just sad to see. If I had the funds I would start my own food joint with a much bigger parking lot for the car enthusiasts.

1red68
03-30-2011, 02:03 PM
:crying:
i'm going to miss that place. i try to get down there at least once a year, mostly on Car Craft weekend. it was always a fun place to go after hours... It will be greatly missed.

johnnyksspeedshop
03-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Yeah, it gets crazy hopping down there Car Craft and Back to the 50's weekend!

vintageracer
03-31-2011, 05:09 AM
Why is Porky's going out of business?

johnnyksspeedshop
03-31-2011, 06:43 AM
I've heard two reasons. One is that its a family business, and their kids dont want to take it over, and two, a light rail train system is being put down right through the center of University which will make it a bad spot for car enthusiast to gather. Alot of their profit comes from local car/motorcycle clubs meeting there during the weekday nights, and of course they have alot of business on the weekend because of the car enthusiasts. And also, im sure the old peoples home that is buying it is giving them a pretty penny.

Derek69SS
03-31-2011, 06:50 AM
I've heard two reasons. One is that its a family business, and their kids dont want to take it over, and two, a light rail train system is being put down right through the center of University which will make it a bad spot for car enthusiast to gather. Alot of their profit comes from local car/motorcycle clubs meeting there during the weekday nights, and of course they have alot of business on the weekend because of the car enthusiasts. And also, im sure the old peoples home that is buying it is giving them a pretty penny.The Light Rail project will completely shut down that stretch of University Ave. for the next 2 years... the only way to even get to Porky's during that time would be to walk there.

Saint Paul has been actively trying to shut down Porky's & "cruising" University for a while now... this is no coincidence.

vintageracer
03-31-2011, 11:54 AM
I figured that "money" and a "land grab" by some other local entity had to figure prominently somewhere in the decision to close the business!

I hope they gets LOT'S of money for the land and enjoy retirement!

LT1Nova
04-07-2011, 04:51 AM
That's too bad. I only went there once and had great time.