PDA

View Full Version : Best Ball Joints?

jeffandre
06-14-2005, 10:56 AM
I am looking for the best quality/strength ball joints for my 71 Camaro, stock type spindle (95 Caprice, uses same as 71 Camaro ball joints), not able to use tall UBJ's, need high performance stock size replacements.

Any opinions? Also where is the best place to buy? Thanks,

parsonsj
06-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Jeff,
I got mine at Lefthander Chassis. (http://www.lefthanderchassis.com). It's a Moog part. They cost $16 apiece.

jp

Dust87ss
06-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Best quality/strength is probably going to be Howe. SCandC.com is a dealer of Howe products; talk to Marcus (Mark).

For stock type replacement though, you probably cant beat a Moog Problem Solver.

How is the car mainly used?

MrQuick
06-14-2005, 02:33 PM
gonna get beat the hell out of daily! LOL

David Pozzi
06-14-2005, 07:30 PM
I bought some Moog inner tie rod ends for 69 camaro the other day, they are now made of cast iron instead of forged steel, and the lower "cap" is just pressed in there and not retained by the "usual" rolled over lip, it looks like it is going to fall apart. The joints look half-finished!

Moog now puts "problem solver" on EVERYTHING!
They used to have a great reputation for quality, but now I don't think so!

sinned
06-14-2005, 08:07 PM
NAPA's line of suspension parts is WAY better than the Moog stuff. The NAPA ball joints are the only ones that truly fix the Dodge Durango/Dakota condition. Most NAPA's have a small display depicting the differences between theirs and "brand M".

Blown353
06-14-2005, 08:19 PM
I'll second Dennis on this one. I used to buy Moog until I noticed the downward slide in quality a couple years back when changing out some front end parts on the '77 Elky. Now I buy NAPA. The NAPA stuff is pretty darn nice.

Troy

David Pozzi
06-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Thanks, I 'll check out NAPA! :)

wendell
06-15-2005, 06:29 AM
I'd vote for NAPA as well. After looking at a set of MOOG I bought and installed upper and lower NAPAs in my 67. From the word on the street and the few I've seen, Howe makes a great ball joint. You couldn't go wrong with either.

jeffandre
06-16-2005, 10:00 AM
I will check out SC&C and NAPA this weekend!

I did beat the heck out of the old ball joints to get them separated from the spindle, broke the dang pickle fork too! Is there a tool that removes ball joints without beating on the car? I am hoping someone makes a 'puller' type that will allow me to remove ball joints with no hammering...

pav8427
06-16-2005, 07:13 PM
check with napa for their 'fleet' ball joints. i am running these on a 82 12inch caddy spindle,they are permanently sealed. not the seperate bolt on seal.

doug

Sir Don
09-23-2006, 03:59 AM
I'm wondering if anything has changed in a year.... and the diff on NAPA parts. One autoparts place doesn't stock MOOG, list for $30, but does carry TRW ($14-$18, forgot actual cost). He said they are both made by Federal Mogal.

Now the posts above suggest NAPA. They had a $18 part that was warrentied for 90 days made by some company. Then they had a life time part for $30 made by Dana.

The lower cost parts are available, I'd have to have them order the higher priced ones.

This is for a stock lower 69 Camaro control arm, have ordered Tyler's tall spindle. The GW uppers came with ball joints, I'll have to check on which brand.

I'm an engineer, am I making to much of it? Just wan to know what I'm buying so I can make an informed purchase.

NvrDun71
09-23-2006, 07:41 AM
Well this sucks. After purchasing all MOOG replacement componenets for my front end about two months ago I find this thread. Last I had heard MOOG was the s*** when it came down to replacement ball joints, and the fact that DSE, ATS and others use and endorse their products also helped my decisioon at the time. I assume MOOG componenets would still be fine in a primarilly street driven application tho such as mine...

Sir Don
09-23-2006, 08:47 AM
NvrDun71 - How much did the Lower Moog parts cost, do you recall? Was in around $18 or $30?

Thanks for any info, I'd be happy with them over the generic brands. I'd just hate to spend more money on the same type of parts, thus funding someone elses racing/endorcement habit...LOL

NvrDun71
09-23-2006, 09:03 AM
The best price I could find on all the Moog parts was from RockAuto.com. Thru them I paid $23.79 a piece for the lowers Moog # K5103. They also have the Delco parts as well if you wanted to go back w/ factory replacements for a little more I think.