PDA

View Full Version : My new personal coupe: 76 Monte!

Shiro666
03-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Hey PT'ers,

My Camaro has turned into such a slog that I decided to sell my WRX and get a "non-project" to cruise around in. That is to say, a cool car that needed very little. Taking some time off from the Personal section of Craig's List, I found this Monte near by. It was owned by a really cool retired guy who too unreal care of it. The interior is mint with the exception of a small joint burn on the bench(bound to happen anyway), the AC is updated and ice cold and she rides real nice. There is a bit of a stumble off the line if she is not fully warmed up. I attributed it to the factory 2 barrel and smog equipment. It is a two owner car with 39000 miles.

I am thinking a 2" drop all around and ditching the Centerlines for some Corvette Rallyes. That and a modern stereo. I plan to cruise around all summer driving very slow and looking extremely cool.

Just took these pics. She still is a bit dusty. I would love to hear your thoughts. Should I get tiny wire spokes with some happenin' white walls?

Shiro

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/03/M004-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/03/M003-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/03/M005-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/03/M007-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/03/M006-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/03/M009-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/03/M013-1.jpg

brakenit
03-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Did it come with a purple hat with a white feather and a fur coat? :smoke:

Looks like a cool, unique summer cruiser. Will look even better with the right set of wheels.

mc84_zz4
03-29-2011, 12:56 PM
My vote is for 295s on all 4 corners! drop it, tint it, new shocks, and drive!
Nice to have a clean slate, not much to de-customize there.

Ron.in.SoCal
03-29-2011, 01:56 PM
I think the car's very cool. I wouldn't dump alot of $$$ into it, but with the right stance and wheels you could turn a lot of heads. The goal in my mind would be to stay as far away from pimp-mobile as possible, but you could still blast 'fity' cent with the wiondows roilled down.

"I don't care what you heard about me..."

Six_Shooter
03-29-2011, 02:39 PM
I used to have an infatuation with the '74s. I prefer the look of the round headlights.

cobragt
03-29-2011, 09:44 PM
I had a 75, I'll post a pic of it tomorrow.

Shiro666
03-30-2011, 04:15 AM
My vote is for 295s on all 4 corners! drop it, tint it, new shocks, and drive!
Nice to have a clean slate, not much to de-customize there.

I am liking this. Any suggestions for wheels?

Did it come with a purple hat with a white feather and a fur coat? :smoke:
[QUOTE]

I had to bring my own.

[QUOTE=Ron.in.SoCal;786962]I think the car's very cool. I wouldn't dump alot of $$$ into it, but with the right stance and wheels you could turn a lot of heads. The goal in my mind would be to stay as far away from pimp-mobile as possible, but you could still blast 'fity' cent with the wiondows roilled down.

"I don't care what you heard about me..."

Yeah, this is just a cruiser/cool commuter for me. Other than the wheels, drop and stereo, that will be about it.

Thanks for commenting!

-Nick

Tony_SS
03-30-2011, 04:45 AM
That's in really nice shape! You can fit some nice sized wheels/tires under there... 17x9.5 with 285/40's on all 4's would be cool.

jerhofer
03-30-2011, 06:30 PM
It looks like it is in great shape. This sure brings back memories. I bought a '73 new with the vinyl roof and swivel bucket seats. It had a 350 with a four barrell and optional dual exhausts. It was a good car as I never had a problem with it. You can see the '70 Camaro that I had at the same time. Vinyl roofs were so in back then that I actually added it to the Camaro!!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/03/73montecarlo-1.jpg

www.jerryforthofer.wordpress.com

vintageracer
03-31-2011, 04:20 AM
I like the current Centerlines MUCH better than any set of Rally Wheels!

Shiro666
03-31-2011, 05:03 AM
This sure brings back memories. I bought a '73 new with the vinyl roof and swivel bucket seats.

Very Nice!

My dad had a 75 with the vinyl and swivel buckets. I love the vinyl tops, but this car does not need any more help looking like it came from the 70's. The first time I turned in the radio ELO was playing.

E-evil Woman! Na-na-na-na-na-na Now!

I like the current Centerlines MUCH better than any set of Rally Wheels!

They are growing on me.

Thanks!

vintageracer
03-31-2011, 05:08 AM
[QUOTE=Shiro666;787116]I am liking this. Any suggestions for wheels?

[QUOTE=brakenit;786871]

26's chosen from the pages of "DUB"!

Shiro666
03-31-2011, 05:36 AM
No Donkage, Please.

You would not believe the hate that this thing gets. This is what one dude said about it on another forum. Pretty creative;

You need to understand that the 1970's were a time of strife, oil and energy shocks and drugs. Lots of drugs. It was at this time that the domestic automakers faced a problem. Energy costs were skyrocketing and that meant that the price of steel was rising too. They either needed to make smaller vehicles or find an alternative. Making smaller vehicles was just crazy talk.
I mentioned the drugs right? Well it was at about this time that an engineer at GM who had been mainlining heroin and LSD struck upon a solution. It was possible to synthesize something that approximated steel by pressing together pure rust, happy thoughts and baby seal tears (you've seen photos from the time of baby seals, and men with clubs, the idea was to hit them and gather their tears for detroit). As long as the resulting material was never exposed to water, everything would be fine.
The 1976 Monte Carlo is made entirely of this wonder material. Unless it's been hermetically sealed in a vat of desiccant, it has a rust problem, you just don't know it yet. Unless you are yourself a welder, keep a welder's number on speed dial. Every time you hit a puddle something WILL come off.

Good Luck and may god have mercy on your soul.

oestek
03-31-2011, 07:56 AM
No Donkage, Please.

You would not believe the hate that this thing gets. This is what one dude said about it on another forum. Pretty creative;

You need to understand that the 1970's were a time of strife, oil and energy shocks and drugs. Lots of drugs. It was at this time that the domestic automakers faced a problem. Energy costs were skyrocketing and that meant that the price of steel was rising too. They either needed to make smaller vehicles or find an alternative. Making smaller vehicles was just crazy talk.
I mentioned the drugs right? Well it was at about this time that an engineer at GM who had been mainlining heroin and LSD struck upon a solution. It was possible to synthesize something that approximated steel by pressing together pure rust, happy thoughts and baby seal tears (you've seen photos from the time of baby seals, and men with clubs, the idea was to hit them and gather their tears for detroit). As long as the resulting material was never exposed to water, everything would be fine.
The 1976 Monte Carlo is made entirely of this wonder material. Unless it's been hermetically sealed in a vat of desiccant, it has a rust problem, you just don't know it yet. Unless you are yourself a welder, keep a welder's number on speed dial. Every time you hit a puddle something WILL come off.

Good Luck and may god have mercy on your soul.

Oh man, that's classic!

Cool car, there is a black one cruising around my town with Corvette rallys on it, it would be cool but it sits as high as a 4x4. I bet if you rebuild that 2barrel and curve the distributor it might actually run well... it shouldn't stumble.

Keep us posted!

cobragt
03-31-2011, 06:41 PM
45771this was my 75 Monte. I sold it in 95. Sometimes wish I didn't. Anyway 300hp 350 out of a 69 Impala probably 400 when i was done with it. built 350 turbo trans and 4.10 posi in the rear. Buckets and floor shifter These were taken just before I sold it but I hadn't put the SS emblems back on. Fender emblems were from a 73 Chevelle SS and the rear was from a 69 Camaro SS. Fun car owned for 11 years only had it at the drag strip once and it had 2.73 gears in it so best time was a 16.10 should have taken it back after I rebuilt the rear end.

mrbigblock
03-31-2011, 08:09 PM
nice ride,grandmother bought one tan with tan interior,lasted quiet a while.Take your time and research diff wheels and Photoshop it with your choice of wheels before you decide.

Tony_SS
04-01-2011, 04:39 AM
I have to admit, I drove a 74 Monte in college. It ate quarts of oil. On the way home one weekend, the oil light went on. I drove it another 150 miles. Checked the oil when I got home and it was bone dry.. that thing was tough as nails.

1red68
04-01-2011, 05:04 AM
Nice!!! i spent some time riding around in one of them... jacked up in the back with lighted whips and 12" wide keystones that she could barely turn over... ahhh... glory days... lol.

it is in nice shape. i think you will enjoy it.
how are the door bushing? those doors must weigh 200 lbs and seemed like they always needed pins & bushings.

Shiro666
04-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Nice!!! i spent some time riding around in one of them... jacked up in the back with lighted whips and 12" wide keystones that she could barely turn over... ahhh... glory days... lol.

it is in nice shape. i think you will enjoy it.
how are the door bushing? those doors must weigh 200 lbs and seemed like they always needed pins & bushings.

I really am having fun bombing around.

Yes, The drives door is just a bit saggy. The previous owner left a new pin in the ash tray for me. Parking it in my driveway, the door is longer than my girlfriend's Subaru.

Viperlover
04-01-2011, 08:59 AM
My dad has a black 76 that he ordered back in the day, black with the swivel bucket seats, he just put a solid roller in and she gets movin with with a 3500 stall converter. Looks like you got one in great shape.