PDA

View Full Version : Painting rusty rotors

dhardison
06-14-2005, 03:55 AM
The night before I was to leave on the Power Tour I washed my car for the first time since installing my 4-wheel discs. Much to my dismay the rotors were IMMEDIATELY covered in surface rust. I ordered the zinc plated rotors but obviously that's not what I received.

Anyway if I pull the rotors and clean off the rust, can I just spray them with high temp rattle-can paint? Will that work well to keep the rust off the non-contact areas? I assume the pads will easily wear the paint off the contact areas.

Thanks,
Dan

TPI Monte SS
06-14-2005, 04:47 AM
Anyway if I pull the rotors and clean off the rust, can I just spray them with high temp rattle-can paint? Will that work well to keep the rust off the non-contact areas? I assume the pads will easily wear the paint off the contact areas.

Thanks,
Dan

I used engine-enamel on the "hats" of the rotors, because you can see them behind my wheels. You could remove the rust with some 120-grit sandpaper, then spray the whole thing down with brake cleaner to clean it off, then paint whatever color you like. Another paint option is Krylon's caliper paint. When that dries, it looks almost like powdercoating, and is very hard. I did my cast-iron calipers with that, and they look great so far.

Steve68
06-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Dan, I had my rotors Zinc washed, I know the actual rotor surface will wear the zinc off, but the rest shouldn't rust, I send you a pic when I get home to show you what they look like, Steve

dhardison
06-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks to BOTH Steves!

Steve68, where did you get them zinc washed? Can that be done even though they've already been broken in?

Thanks,
Dan

Joe_Rocket
06-14-2005, 03:40 PM
I had mine Zinc Washed also. The rears were a used LS1 setup from a late model camaro, and the fronts were new Touring Classics rotors. The plating shop cleaned up the used rears for me and they came out great! I paid about $70 to have all four rotors done.

Swifster
06-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Don't leave the paint on the pad contact surface. This will compromise the stopping ability. Either mask off the contact surface, or do a light turn of the contact surface after the paint has dried.

Using the car in front of you to stop would be a bad thing...

Steve68
06-14-2005, 05:58 PM
Yes, they can do the rotors, Joe paid a hell of alot less than I did, I might have to shop around for the rears,

Dan I send the pics tomorrow, to busy today, Steve

ProdigyCustoms
06-15-2005, 11:00 AM
We jet hot coat them.

dhardison
06-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Frank, How long does it take for the pads to wear the JetHot coating off and how badly does that affect braking performance until it does wear off?

Thanks,
Dan

dhardison
06-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Also Frank, does the JetHot coating drastically affect rotor runout? I'm running a rotor had with separate hub.

Thanks again,
Dan

Steve68
06-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Franks got a good idea, I always liked the zinc wash,

dhardison
06-15-2005, 03:50 PM
I contacted JetHot and they say they won't coat brake rotors. Frank, do you use a different company?

Dan

Tydriver
06-23-2005, 06:26 AM
FWIW, I've hit them with a wire brush mounted in a drill motor and then once the crusty rust is removed, shoot some GRILLE paint (bar-b-que grille) paint on them. Its designed to take the high temps and does just fine and its UBER CHEAP..

Sure, its not gonna look as sharp as zinc washing, but depends on your goals.

TonyL
06-23-2005, 06:36 AM
Dan, im sure they arent talking about useing jet hot on the rotor surface that the pad touches. just the hats.

any coating on the pad mateing surface will eventually rub off and you'll get some kinda rust if your car sits any amount of time. Zink coating may be the only alternative.