PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and Project 'Mad Max' - 1968 Camaro Build

srengr
03-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Hey Y'all,

Greetings from Texas. I've been lurking on the forum for a few months while contemplating / researching doing a pro-touring build.

I own a 1968 Camaro RS convertible, all numbers matching, that was a lucky find in California during a business trip in 1987. I bought the car from the original owner (who had driven it everyday) and did a full restoration in the early 1990's. It is pretty much a garage queen.

Over the last couple of years, I have been itching to build a first gen Camaro with 'modern' technology that I could drive everyday, but would still turn heads. However, I did not want to sacrifice the RS as a donor car.

Anyway, this all came to a head at a dinner party a few weeks ago where my wife and I met another couple (who are motorheads from way back). He is restoring a COPO, a car originally from Canada, and at the same time updating a '69 Z28 that is his daily driver (a very clean original Texas car). We got to talking, and long story short, he introduced me to the 'team' working with him on his cars (each and every one a one a 'hand' -- as we would say in Texas). Needless to say, the hook was set.

Fast forward a few weeks, and I am now the proud owner of '68 Camaro coupe donor car that is the foundation for the 'Mad Max' build (credit to my wife for the moniker). Currently on the jig getting new metal as you can see:

I don't want to ramble (anymore), so I'll stop here. I plan to create a build thread and document the whole process.

Having been a lurker on the forum, I will thank everyone, in advance, for their help as the build proceeds.

Cheers,

Chris
-srengr

1968 Camaro RS convertible - numbers matching garage queen
1968 Camaro Coupe 'Mad Max' Pro-touring build - in progress (0%)

454bug
03-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Hey Chris,

Welcome aboard!! Nice platform to start with. It's nice to see another guy from the South on the site. I live in Lafayette but come to Houston often for work and to visit family.

I look forward to the new build thread.

GOOD LUCK!! :twothumbs

Bryce
03-28-2011, 09:58 AM
welcome

killer67
03-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Welcome Chris! You won't regret the conversion. Love the project name

Flash68
03-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Nice.. I just watched Mad Max 2 days ago! Great acting in that movie... LOL

srengr
03-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

When I asked my wife about a name for the project, she immediately said "Mad Max -- "The last of the V8 interceptors."". Even though his ride in the movie was a Javelin, I thought it fit perfectly.

79-TA
04-02-2011, 08:31 PM
XB Falcon

Welcome to the site! I look forward to seeing your build as it progresses.

LeighP
04-03-2011, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

When I asked my wife about a name for the project, she immediately said "Mad Max -- "The last of the V8 interceptors."". Even though his ride in the movie was a Javelin, I thought it fit perfectly.

Hi,
Welcome to the site....nice to see another project happening.
Oh, by the way...Max's car was an Australian Ford Falcon....mid 70's hardtop 2 door (for some reason they aren't called them coupes)....not an AMC product to be seen within Coo-ee of the film....lol.

1red68
04-03-2011, 05:36 AM
Welcome Chris!
it wil be nice to see your project come together. please keep us posted. :)

Tucks69
04-03-2011, 06:14 AM
Welcome to the addiction! Looking forward to updates.