PDA

View Full Version : Oil pan leaking

bearcat
03-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Ok the drip drip has finally gotten to me. I have a Moroso chrome oil pan that leaks and now it is going away. Any recs to an oil pan that has a great seal? For a BBC in '69 camaro. This one may just be old. It is being replaced.

Pro Stock
03-25-2011, 09:21 PM
It depends on your budget, first of all stay away from chrome no matter what your budget is, they have a hard time holding gaskets. If you want something nice Stefs make a nice pan, he make alot of NASCAR, drag race and street pans.

DoABarrelRoll
04-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Use RTV instead of a gasket.

wmhjr
04-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Another thing to keep in mind. Lots of time you can create a pan leak by torqueing down the pan bolts tight, which ends up deflecting the flange right around the head of the bolt but not in between the bolts. This last time, I got some very thick steel welding washers and ground each one to barely fit inside the channel, and then I painted them all. Because they're thick and strong and wide they provide more surface area to for each bolt to tighten the pan with rather than just a small washer and bolt head. I have no idea if it made a difference but between that and "right stuff" sealent, so far I have no leaks. At least not there. I do have one pesky slighly leak in the only OTHER Russel fitting I have on the car - at my remote oil filter. I plan on fixing that in the next week or so.

BTW, as for pans, I had a Moroso pan I swapped for a Canton pan. I can't really say that the Canton pan fit the slightest bit better in terms of fitment to the block.