PDA

View Full Version : When does it become Pro-Touring.

Ziegelsteinfaust
03-24-2011, 07:28 PM
I ask this becouse theres all these terms to donate a fashion to which we build our projects, and my pending summer Daily Driving F100. The pepto warrior as I like to call it right now.

We have the
Hot Street
Euro
Pro Street
Low Rider
Ricer :-(

But when does something become Pro-Touring? Is there a magical level of performance that a vehicle must have? I have had in the past Nova's capable of roughly .95g turns, and I would like to have about a .9g on my truck. While keeping it friendly enough for DD, and a good balance of tire life. I think .9g is a good comprimise of cost, and maintance cost. Although it maybe capable of a bit more that I am not really aware of becouse the swapping that will be going on.

As for my truck what do you think.

Crown Vic P71 front end set for 4 inch ride height. I may use a 4x4 pan to gain clearence to z the frame to be all proper with crossmember clearence.
The front spring are 750 lbs factory.
Front disks are 12.5"
The front sway bar of 1.25 inchs.
Explorer 8.8 rear end with 12" disks I believe.
The rear will use factory leafs with airbags to dial them in, and provide a bit of load leveling. I still need to go to Home Depot. Then later "around Christmas" shorten up the bed, and add a 4-link.

Initially I plan to use 17" Dodge Charger rims, and tires to keep cost down. Plus my wifes car handles really well on stock 17's its also 1000 pounds heavier then my truck empty. Afterthat I will upgrade the tires based on what I have infront of me.

Do I need a rear sway bar? I rarely ever ran them in the past, an.d never had a problem.

Should I run a 9" rear instead of the 8.8? I am well aware of the 9, but don't know how well the 8.8 compares. I know there well supported becouse they have been used in lots of things but? I was looking at a 9" with the gears I want, 31 splines, and big drums in PYP yesterday. Then upgrade to disks later to match front.

Theres a common practice of putting a 65-72 Mustang tank in the back of the truck to get the fuel tank out of the cab. You pic the year depending on the capacity you wish to have. Or should I put a fuel tank in a truck tool box to keep it in the center of the truck? I will have a truck tool box anyways to have a bit of a trunk on my rig. So a bit of space loss is not that big a deal.

I am asking becouse I am slowly gathering parts now getting ready for my summer build up, and want a maximum bang for the buck. Much of my build is still fluid so that I can move as I learn new things, and see different options. I don't want to repeat someone elses buld. Which is why I chose the Ford I did.