PDA

View Full Version : A new beginning

ponycrusher
03-24-2011, 02:04 PM
It was my freshman year of high school. I was 16, and life couldn’t have been any better. That was until one day when my world got turned upside down. I had broken my back and all I could ask myself was, “Why me?” But what I thought was a curse turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

I began to restore a 1969 Camaro RS as a way to take my mind off of things. It gave me a sense of pride and purpose, healing me in a way that medicine couldn’t. My dream was to drive it to my senior graduation. Finally, after three years of hard work, I finished the restoration exactly one day before I would walk on that stage.
My family is in the car business and ironically we had never owned a car before this project. We owned a chevrolet store which was where most of the restoration took place. With the news that the new gen of camaros were coming out I could not wait to see them. Unfortunately chevrolet had other plans for our store and we were one of the unfortunate group that got the closing letter. I took it pretty badly because I had practically grown up with many of our employees and they became like family to me throughout this whole process. They were more important to me then the new gen of camaro would ever be so I never thought twice about the car after the day our door closed. But about a year later I came home and my dad asked me to go outside. I thought this cant be good ha. Then the garage door opened up and next to my 69 was another covered car. I knew exactly what it was though and was like hey why the heck is that in our garage. dad tossed me the keys and said its your car now, I know how hard you have been working in school and wanted to show how proud we are of you. To this day I am so thankful for what my parents have worked so hard to give me. I know how fortunate I am for that and hope that one day I can show them that.

Ron.in.SoCal
03-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Great first post Brother. These past few years have taught many of us lessons we never before had to learn. Hopefully we're all the better for it....

THE TECH
03-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Very nice! You have some nice cars. Welcome to the forum!

ponycrusher
03-31-2011, 10:57 AM
thanks for the compliments. it was an experience I will never forget and healed me in a way the doctors never could