PDA

View Full Version : Autometer vs. Classic Instruments?

boynton6spd
03-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Which are the better quality?
What makes one better than the other???????
I like them both...

The WidowMaker
03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
i havent seen the classic instruments up really close, but their online images and the catalog they sent make them look incredible. i love the classy design of the american series.

wmhjr
03-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Autometer offers far more of a product line with low to high end stuff. It's not a fair general comparison. Classic looks pretty nice to me. Both are good IMHO.

Romulus
03-14-2011, 07:55 PM
I've seen Classics in person for my ride (60 Vette) as they are one of the few (err....only) who put together a setup that drops in. They look amazing, especially since they are able to customize them a dozen ways from sunday.... mother of pearl faces, custom colored match, carbon fiber, heck.. they'll probably do alligator skin as long as you're willing to pay the piper. Classic is often at the bigger car shows...goodguys, etc. if that's in your near future.

I think Classic boils down to retro/hot rod and the Autometer look is generally sport/race. Oversimplication of course.

I can't directly compare quality between the two.

Just to make it difficult... I've also been looking at speedhut.com and newvintageusa.com (specifically the 3 in 1 style) guages

BonzoHansen
03-14-2011, 08:25 PM
CI stuff looks really nice in person as does the new vintage. So nice to see so many gauge options now

lnirenberg
03-16-2011, 05:10 PM
I've used both co. and they are high quality accurate and durable. I think it comes down to the "look" which is why I have Classic gauges in my 61 bel air.

ProdigyCustoms
03-17-2011, 05:07 AM
I think Classic boils down to retro/hot rod and the Autometer look is generally sport/race. Oversimplication of course.

I think this sums it up nicely. We carry both Autometer and Classic and Dakota also

dontlifttoshift
03-17-2011, 05:55 AM
If you need more than the standard 6 gauges then autometer is the way to go. Technically the autometers do some neat stuff that classic doesn't but operation wise I have had near zero problems with both manufacturers. They are both great and awesome companies to deal with.....it really comes down to styling and which one fits your car the best.

bg5512
03-30-2011, 01:48 PM
I've used both and never had any problems with either. Great customer service with install questions. Autometer has some models with a more modern look if that's what you're going for.

Six_Shooter
03-30-2011, 02:59 PM
I've had Autometer for a number of years, (Sport Comp and Pro Comp)and I'm not overly impressed with them. The only reason I still use them is because I have them. I am looking for other options currently.

Just for reference, I have found out that my Water temp gauge reads 10 degrees high, my boost gauge reads about 2 PSIG low, my oil pressure seems to be pretty accurate though. Tachs have been somewhat accurate.

Personally I want to get away from the "one hole (gauge), one reading" layout. I'm looking for some 2 in 1 gauges that will fit the bill.

WildBillyT
04-01-2011, 07:22 AM
I've had Autometer for a number of years, (Sport Comp and Pro Comp)and I'm not overly impressed with them. The only reason I still use them is because I have them. I am looking for other options currently.

Just for reference, I have found out that my Water temp gauge reads 10 degrees high, my boost gauge reads about 2 PSIG low, my oil pressure seems to be pretty accurate though. Tachs have been somewhat accurate.

Personally I want to get away from the "one hole (gauge), one reading" layout. I'm looking for some 2 in 1 gauges that will fit the bill.

All of my gauges are fine except for the sport comp boost gauge. It reads 1-2 psi high. I get that atmospheric pressure makes a difference (which is why 0 is a small range) but not this much. Apparently accuracy decay is a common problem with the boost gauges?

Six_Shooter
04-01-2011, 08:58 AM
I know someone else with a Pro-Comp water temp gauge that reads 10 degrees low. We keep joking that we need to get our gauges together and maybe they will even out. lol The quick demise of the boost gauges probably has to do with how often and quickly the reading changes causing fatigue of the tube inside the gauge. Mine has always read a little low since day one though.

Like I said before my tachs (I've had a few from Autometer) and my oil pressure gauge seem to read accuratly. Volt gauge also seems to be decent as well.

I've been really eying up those newvintageusa.com gauges, since I saw them mentioned in this thread.

They even have a example of a 280Z gauge layout, that would be very similar to my 240Z.

wvnova
04-02-2011, 10:44 AM
i got the classic instruments" bomber moal" series they are not in the car yet as the car is currently being restored but i really like the looks of them. personally i don't think you could go wrong with either company.

lsxfirstgen
04-05-2011, 02:34 PM
automete sport comp II with the through led lighting..awesome

Johnny Blaze
04-09-2011, 11:59 AM

What are you using as a reference to these?

newvintageusa
04-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Depends on what you are going for. If you need something with a particular look, or custom, come on by and check us out. We manufacture a full line of themed instruments ranging from traditional to modern, everything from speedos and tachs to AFR, EGT and whatever you may need. All made in Detroit
Mark

Six_Shooter
04-13-2011, 11:05 AM
What are you using as a reference to these?

The datastream from my ECM, which very closely matches my T-stat rating once warm, and a temp gun, which has a bit more variance, since this is measured outside of the T-stat housing/rad and coolant hoses. The same things for the my buddies car were used, since his car is also injected.

Newvintage, I'm seriously considering your gauges, especially with the customizing ability.

Any plans for a dual gauge in 2 5/8" housing?

newvintageusa
04-15-2011, 03:30 AM
No plans for a 2-5/8 dual gauge, just not anough demand to justify $15K in tooling up the 2-5/8

dlrepmn
04-15-2011, 05:51 PM
I have the classic and am very happy with it. Although the tach is harder to see in the cluster with the drop in cluster instead of a full tach gauge. I shift by feel anyway.

I went for the white needles because the red looked almost identical to stock and I wanted something different.

http://www.classicinstruments.com/index.aspx?documentID=camaro1

ModedCB2
05-02-2011, 06:12 PM
I don't post often on here, prefer to lurk & learn. I can share nearly 18 years with Autometer, the good, the bad the ugly... Years ago the custom shop of Autometer was just like the Holley custom shop. call and ask, they will give you a crazy low price if you are buying it or sending it. I bought one of the first complete sets of Phantom Series gauges back in, what? 1996-1997ish.. then I added a couple gauges, they showed up with the "new" rounded off pro-comp style bezels. Called Autometer, they said "send them up, we'll handle it." Granted I too lived in Illinois, shipped on a Friday, had them back the following Thursday, no charge, they swapped the bezels! Sorry to say, not any more. My last SEMA I stopped to ask if they could help with a project for a customer. I wanted the Classic Design but needed more gauges, customer was willing to pay the $$... Nope... "we have no interest in those types of projects, sell your customer on the series that has the gauges you need." Almost verbatim quote.

Fast forward to 2 years ago. I have/had a sport-comp oil pressure gauge that was just suspicious. Swapped an Equis oil pressure gauge, they had the exact same sender, gauge for gauge the sport-comp was 9psi lower than the Equis & it was dead on to the Snap-On diagnositic mechanical gauge I had T'ed to the same port on the SBFord. Hmm....

Same SBFord, Boost on the vortech S/c was all over the place, like someone else mentioned. Swapped for a S-W Performance unit... again... 3psi difference & 7 in/hg of vacuum. Faulty? Maybe... enough to rid autometer from my shop, darn skippy.

I don't know what has happened. I know they are the "gauges of NASCAR" & the "Top in xxx, yyy, zzz, & PDQ sanctioning bodies" but unless you are buying top teir product, in my experience in the last 10 years, they don't measure up.

Stewart Warner Performance, Equis, Sun Pro all have proven more accurate & reliable for me & my customers.

I have recently passed on two different custom gauge companies after finding they rely on Autometer foundations for their custom dash builds. I ask now. Its important to me & my customers.

Sorry for the long post, but Autometer has just dropped the ball & has let that ball ride on its coat tails. They need to get back to what made them famous... great service & superior products.

Lastly: like someone else said, unfortunately if you need a "whole slue" of gauges from brake pressure to boost/vac... Autometer is the only full range option... ugh.....

Rob

newvintageusa
05-04-2011, 02:17 AM
I don't post often on here, prefer to lurk & learn. I can share nearly 18 years with Autometer, the good, the bad the ugly... Years ago the custom shop of Autometer was just like the Holley custom shop. call and ask, they will give you a crazy low price if you are buying it or sending it. I bought one of the first complete sets of Phantom Series gauges back in, what? 1996-1997ish.. then I added a couple gauges, they showed up with the "new" rounded off pro-comp style bezels. Called Autometer, they said "send them up, we'll handle it." Granted I too lived in Illinois, shipped on a Friday, had them back the following Thursday, no charge, they swapped the bezels! Sorry to say, not any more. My last SEMA I stopped to ask if they could help with a project for a customer. I wanted the Classic Design but needed more gauges, customer was willing to pay the $$... Nope... "we have no interest in those types of projects, sell your customer on the series that has the gauges you need." Almost verbatim quote.

Fast forward to 2 years ago. I have/had a sport-comp oil pressure gauge that was just suspicious. Swapped an Equis oil pressure gauge, they had the exact same sender, gauge for gauge the sport-comp was 9psi lower than the Equis & it was dead on to the Snap-On diagnositic mechanical gauge I had T'ed to the same port on the SBFord. Hmm....

Same SBFord, Boost on the vortech S/c was all over the place, like someone else mentioned. Swapped for a S-W Performance unit... again... 3psi difference & 7 in/hg of vacuum. Faulty? Maybe... enough to rid autometer from my shop, darn skippy.

I don't know what has happened. I know they are the "gauges of NASCAR" & the "Top in xxx, yyy, zzz, & PDQ sanctioning bodies" but unless you are buying top teir product, in my experience in the last 10 years, they don't measure up.

Stewart Warner Performance, Equis, Sun Pro all have proven more accurate & reliable for me & my customers.

I have recently passed on two different custom gauge companies after finding they rely on Autometer foundations for their custom dash builds. I ask now. Its important to me & my customers.

Sorry for the long post, but Autometer has just dropped the ball & has let that ball ride on its coat tails. They need to get back to what made them famous... great service & superior products.

Lastly: like someone else said, unfortunately if you need a "whole slue" of gauges from brake pressure to boost/vac... Autometer is the only full range option... ugh.....

Rob

Rob,
Next time you need something give us a call, all of our product is fully customizable and built here in Detroit, where auto parts should be made. And, not involved with the above companys in any way.
Mark