PDA

View Full Version : Update since RTTH - carnage and repairs

GeoffP
03-13-2011, 01:29 PM
I haven't driven the 68 much since RTTH, hence very few posts, but thought I'd post an update since I recently had a valvetrain failure and just found time to fix it today. The #5 exhaust rocker stud broke about 3 weeks ago just as soon as I fired it up (thankfully). It bent the intake push rod on the same cylinder as well. All I can figure is that beating on the car at RTTH cracked the stud where it was just hanging on until the other day. At least it's fixed...looking forward to the Peach State Musclecar Challenge! I might bring two cars this year since I'm trying to get my wife to try out Auto-X.

Tucks69
03-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Sorry to hear about the breakage. At least you found it before any major damage occured. I have stud girdles on my 68, I havent had any valvetrain problems. I tried to send you a pm but you inbox was full! Check my build thread out on my 69, I have made a little progress. https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?49628-Project-quot-Trouble-quot

GeoffP
03-14-2011, 04:06 AM
I fixed the PM problem. I thought about stud girdles, but didn't give it much thought to be honest since I had never had any valvetrain breakage before. I think maybe new ARP rocker studs for the whole valvetrain are in order...kinda hoping the LT1 will die to give me an excuse to fix it by upgrading to LS something... (not really, but an LS would be nice).