PDA

View Full Version : Lowering a 1972 Chevelle?

t72ss402
03-09-2011, 07:28 PM
What is the best way to lower a 1972 Chevelle?

I ordered my wheels today and I am going to lower my Chevelle to fit just at the top of the tires.

I have already rebuilt the front suspension and used a new set of big block springs. I am not set on these so I was thinking spindle or springs?

Rear suspension I am pretty open, I am looking at a basic kit upper, lower control arms etc...

I am looking for a good quality ride as I am going to drive this car as often as I as I can.

Thanks Tim

THE TECH
03-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Kinda depends on your budget. There are many ways to go lower. From $7500 Ridetech air ride suspension to just lowering springs. Best way about it is to get your new wheels and tires on the car and then figure out how much lower you want the car to be. This can help you decide what way to go.

Nothingface5384
03-09-2011, 09:07 PM
the way i went/installing is spc 1in drop springs with tall upper/lower ball joints and lower spc lower control arm(72skylark)
drop spindles is another way as mentioned

cheapest way would be to just cut your current springs

typical rear upper/lower combo is edelbrock adjustable tubular control arms with lower curries...both has spherical ends
if you have the funds Detroit speed rear arms combo will be great and also speed techs if they sell seperate from their full kit as both these has swivvel/articulat style ends which makes for bind free operation..better then spherical ends/johnnyjoints/rotos..but either will be fine for street

t72ss402
03-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the response guys. I plan on waiting to see how my wheels set before moving on to lowering the car. I was leaning more towards drop spindles and springs in the rear. This is the way I went on my 79 Mailbu and it has a killer stance. I will post pics up later.